GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the glovebox (I think that is what it is called - the storage compartment in front of the fuel door on a 2016) to install a Show Chrome cigarette lighter (vs. putting it in the fairing pocket, where my phone w/Otter Box and a charger cord sticking out of the bottom won't fit in there), run the wires back under towards the power supply under the fairing pocket.

How do you do this?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I guess I am not sure exactly what you are asking for.
If need to know how to open the glove box, then there is a key hole on the right panel below the headlight adjuster switch, use your ignition key to open the glove box.

I replaced mine with a Kuryaken cup holder unit a long time ago, I do not remember what was inside the glove box if any thing, I did put a LED in the cup holder a few years ago, there are two drain holes in the bottom of the plastic well, I used one of them to bring the wires in for the LED and just fished two wires across under the shelter to the left side to tap into the power outlet circuit under the left cubby.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would like to remove the glovebox (I think that is what it is called - the storage compartment in front of the fuel door on a 2016) to install a Show Chrome cigarette lighter (vs. putting it in the fairing pocket, where my phone w/Otter Box and a charger cord sticking out of the bottom won't fit in there), run the wires back under towards the power supply under the fairing pocket.

How do you do this?
I think you have to remove the shelter to get to the fasteners in order to remove the glove box.

I was curious about taking the glove box out as well for much the same reason. I have a 2017 and I wanted to route my Kennedy Cell Set cord from the left fairing compartment to the center glove box and install a power outlet at the same time. I use a corded power outlet instead of a panel mounted power outlet. Seems to be more versatile.

I discovered that the box didn't have to come out to do all that. I simply removed the part of the shelter that is part of the fuel filler door. That piece is held in with two plastic fasteners just in front of the seat and two plastic fasteners on each side of the fuel filler door opening. After those plastic fasteners are removed, the access panel can be removed, gas filler door and all. Its a tight fit but it is all a friction fit, and a couple of tabs, and comes out pretty easily while you pull on the side of the fairing shelter.

Once I did that I could see down past the side of the center glove box. There was sufficient clearance so I could drill a hole in the right side large enough for the cell phone connector with cord and a second cord to attach a power socket to. I drilled a 9/16" hole with a step drill in the right side. I fished the two cords and then added a grommet to the hole. The cell phone connector is just a 3.5 mm plug and the power socket is connected to a 16 gauge zip cord. I routed the power cord under the fairing to the 12 volt source I planned to use. The power socket has a USB 2.4 A socket filler with two ports so I can power whatever I need up to. And now the left fairing pocket is empty again. My Motorola Turbo Z4 was really too big for the left fairing pocket.
2017 glove box 01.jpg 2017 glove box 01.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you have to remove the shelter to get to the fasteners in order to remove the glove box.

I was curious about taking the glove box out as well for much the same reason. I have a 2017 and I wanted to route my Kennedy Cell Set cord from the left fairing compartment to the center glove box and install a power outlet at the same time. I use a corded power outlet instead of a panel mounted power outlet. Seems to be more versatile.

I discovered that the box didn't have to come out to do all that. I simply removed the part of the shelter that is part of the fuel filler door. That piece is held in with two plastic fasteners just in front of the seat and two plastic fasteners on each side of the fuel filler door opening. After those plastic fasteners are removed, the access panel can be removed, gas filler door and all. Its a tight fit but it is all a friction fit, and a couple of tabs, and comes out pretty easily while you pull on the side of the fairing shelter.

Once I did that I could see down past the side of the center glove box. There was sufficient clearance so I could drill a hole in the right side large enough for the cell phone connector with cord and a second cord to attach a power socket to. I drilled a 9/16" hole with a step drill in the right side. I fished the two cords and then added a grommet to the hole. The cell phone connector is just a 3.5 mm plug and the power socket is connected to a 16 gauge zip cord. I routed the power cord under the fairing to the 12 volt source I planned to use. The power socket has a USB 2.4 A socket filler with two ports so I can power whatever I need up to. And now the left fairing pocket is empty again. My Motorola Turbo Z4 was really too big for the left fairing pocket.
View attachment 367275 View attachment 367275
Michael, thanks, this is exactly what I am talking about - and, as you said, for the same purpose. I have a Show Chrome cig lighter kit ready to install, and now I know how to install it in the glove box - thank you. I would like to use the cig lighter so I can plug in a 12V phone charger, but also have that serve as a power point for other accessories that can be powered with a cig lighter socket (such as an air compressor). The only issue might be how far that receptacle sticks out, with its prongs that the wires slide onto for power. I am wondering if this will interfere with the access panel.

·
Registered
837 Posts
While you are there you may want to replace the air filter. It is probably just another 5 or 10 mins. more work .

·
Registered
700 Posts
While you are there you may want to replace the air filter. It is probably just another 5 or 10 mins. more work .
Don't have to go that deep to install power wires for a power port. Removal of the entire shelter is not needed.
At the moment, I've only had the 2017 for six months and only have 5000 miles on it. Not time for a filter change yet.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Michael, thanks, this is exactly what I am talking about - and, as you said, for the same purpose. I have a Show Chrome cig lighter kit ready to install, and now I know how to install it in the glove box - thank you. I would like to use the cig lighter so I can plug in a 12V phone charger, but also have that serve as a power point for other accessories that can be powered with a cig lighter socket (such as an air compressor). The only issue might be how far that receptacle sticks out, with its prongs that the wires slide onto for power. I am wondering if this will interfere with the access panel.
Mounting a receptacle in the box wall may require further disassembly than I went through. You would have to get behind the glove box to install the receptacle securing nut. That is one of the reasons I went with the corded receptacle. Only minimal access is needed.
2017 Power Socket.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mounting a receptacle in the box wall may require further disassembly than I went through. You would have to get behind the glove box to install the receptacle securing nut. That is one of the reasons I went with the corded receptacle. Only minimal access is needed.
View attachment 367291
Hmmmm. I will have to see what I have to work with once I pop the body work off. Where did you get the corded receptacle? I am sure my air compressor, which has a battery, needs far more draw than a USB can provide. Perhaps it is worth replicating what you did for phone charging capability and come up with another solution for backup compressor power.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The power port is a re-purposed dual port Y cable. I cut off the plug and kept the receptacles. It cost me $7.09 from Amazon. Then i plugged in the AUKEY Car Charger, Mini USB Cell Phone Car Adapter 24W/4.8A Flush Fit Dual Port. It cost me $6.99 from Amazon. The power port itself will be more than sufficient to power a small compressor. Just pull out the Mini USB adapter. Also make sure you have the power cord fused sufficiently at the battery connection.

I selected the AUKEY for two reasons. It is a flush fit and it does not have an LED that draws power when it is not in use. It can stay plugged in to the power port and draws no current.

Y Cord Power Plug.jpg Aukey USB Adapter.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts