GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Top shelter

Its not difficult, but it is time consuming. There is a video on youtube about replacing the air filter that covers removing the top shelter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Top shelter

I think the only real difference is if you have air bags. Other than that the steps are similar.
I didn't do a search for 2012 shelter removal you might want to try that.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The 2012 shelter is multiple pieces. I could remove the one on my '04 in about 1/2 hour. The 2012 looks like a lot more work.
BTW, on my '04 I changed the filter, adjusted the cruise and changed to all ball steering head bearings in less than 4 hours.
Maybe time to order Fred's videos.

2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still wondering

Still wondering if anyone has removed their top shelter on a 2012 (with the 3 piece shelter cover) or later wing and if there are any tips I can learn from you before I have to learn it the hard way by breaking something.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Still wondering if anyone has removed their top shelter on a 2012 (with the 3 piece shelter cover) or later wing and if there are any tips I can learn from you before I have to learn it the hard way by breaking something.
Same here. I was going to dig into it this winter but would like to know exactly what to look for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts