GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first Goldwing THREE DAYS AGO, a 2002 GL1800. It's been seven years since riding a 1981 Honda CB900C. Due to the pricing of new Goldwings, I’ve waited FIVE YEARS for this day and am thrilled to death. No other bike even caught my attention.

Today I rode it to work for the first time. I decided that I should wear boots for ankle support so I put on my hiking boots. While dismounting this morning, I dragged my right boot across the top edge of the drivers seat and RIPPED A HOLE though the vinyl… I am SO UPSET with myself over this.

So I’m looking for some helpful hints about how to deal with this hole before it gets worse or leaks water when it rains. It is only an 1/8” hole where the boot hook & eye grabbed the vinyl. It could have been a 3-corner tear but it isn’t.

Should I attempt one of those vinyl repair kits at Wal-Mart or an auto store or should I take it to an upholstery shop and pay a professional to fix it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't feel bad I did almost the same thing on my 05 wing a week after I got it! :( That was in April of this year. I haven't repaired it yet. I will get it fixed when I have my seat rebuilt by (hopefully) wing soft!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Contact a local car dealer....they will know of a company that may in fact come to your house to fix it....and its something the company specializes in.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
you can pick up a used seat on e bay for under 100 bucks, or take it to an upholsterer, most filler type repairs fail in time. so have recovered.

·
Registered
736 Posts
K8KQD said:
I picked up my first Goldwing THREE DAYS AGO, a 2002 GL1800. It's been seven years since riding a 1981 Honda CB900C. Due to the pricing of new Goldwings, I’ve waited FIVE YEARS for this day and am thrilled to death. No other bike even caught my attention.

Today I rode it to work for the first time. I decided that I should wear boots for ankle support so I put on my hiking boots. While dismounting this morning, I dragged my right boot across the top edge of the drivers seat and RIPPED A HOLE though the vinyl… I am SO UPSET with myself over this.

So I’m looking for some helpful hints about how to deal with this hole before it gets worse or leaks water when it rains. It is only an 1/8” hole where the boot hook & eye grabbed the vinyl. It could have been a 3-corner tear but it isn’t.

Should I attempt one of those vinyl repair kits at Wal-Mart or an auto store or should I take it to an upholstery shop and pay a professional to fix it?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Buy the bead cover.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've used V.I.P. vinyl repair and it works great. Comes in a small tube and is semi clear before drying and clear after drying. You use strips of masking tape spaced out along the tear to hold the tear together and then apply the vinyl repair inbetween the strips. Once it has dried you take off the tape and fill in with the vinyl repair. It holds up very well (I've even repaired Northern boots with it). I'm sure there are other brands of vinyl repair that will work just as well also.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Go to the "want to buy " part of this site and put an ad in that you want to buy a factor seat. I feel sure there are lots of them collection dust.
Good luck.
I bought one like brand new with the utopia backrest installed for around $200 if I remember right. I still have my stock seat but will keep it for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts