GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Goldwingers,
I'im riding a 2018 manual.
I'm kind of tired to plug my iphone in the cubby for car play so gonna get a Goldstirke phone mount and put it on the left side.
Is there any hint to route the lightning cable hiddenly to the undernath of phone holder ?
What do i have to take care routing wire or drilling hole ?
Appreciatew your help and ideas.
Ride safe!
Emir

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If you don't have one of those snake gripe devices, use a metal coat hanger, open a saddlebag, remove a side panel (left or right), tape the wire you want to pass up to the coat hanger and gently push the coat hanger up towards the front of the bike, aiming a little higher than the level of the seat which is where you are starting from. Don't force it, but you may need to pull the coat hanger back and then gently advance it again in a slightly different angle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I cut a small channel in the top of the glovebox and enlarged the far left hole(next to latch holes). The lid doesn’t touch the wire when closed. Then I attached The wire to inside wall of bike for a long loop when turning bars. Then I ran the wire up to the phone mount under the plastic wire cover of the handlebar. Sorry, having trouble posting pics.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I cut a small channel in the top of the glovebox and enlarged the far left hole(next to latch holes). The lid doesn’t touch the wire when closed. Then I attached The wire to inside wall of bike for a long loop when turning bars. Then I ran the wire up to the phone mount under the plastic wire cover of the handlebar. Sorry, having trouble posting pics.
no issues with rain? could you take a pic for us?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If you don't have one of those snake gripe devices, use a metal coat hanger, open a saddlebag, remove a side panel (left or right), tape the wire you want to pass up to the coat hanger and gently push the coat hanger up towards the front of the bike, aiming a little higher than the level of the seat which is where you are starting from. Don't force it, but you may need to pull the coat hanger back and then gently advance it again in a slightly different angle.
i may be wrong but i think hes wanting to go from the cubby in the front to the bars. ive seen those long stiff zip ties used as well and you dont have to worry about the coat hanger scratching the plastic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you but my bike is a manual transmission and phone usb is in the cubby not in the trunk like the DCt model.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Thats the same thing i pan to do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would also like to see some pics if you can ever get them to post. THANK YOU!!!!!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
So if your wanting to go from the cubby to the front then Fred H. did it and I'm almost certain that he drilled a small hole, being careful not to take something out you might want like a throttle cable.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Buy a longer Apple cable and pull the rubber grommet from the right rear of the cubby if you want to go to the left bar. If you go to the right bar a standard iPhone cabe can be routed and hidden like the factory wires going up the right bar.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i may be wrong but i think hes wanting to go from the cubby in the front to the bars. ive seen those long stiff zip ties used as well and you dont have to worry about the coat hanger scratching the plastic.
I used a coat hanger but was ALWAYS afraid I would gouge or scratch the paint. I saw Cruisman use an extra long zip tie. A quick Amazon search turned up these. They are stiff enough to get into and around things, yet soft enough not to damage the paint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0F192U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Has anyone run the Phone cord from the glove box to the rear trunk....why mount on handle bar when you have to take phone off each time you stop...plug it in the trunk and leave it there....everything is on the dash board...

Am I thinking wrong?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Has anyone run the Phone cord from the glove box to the rear trunk....why mount on handle bar when you have to take phone off each time you stop...plug it in the trunk and leave it there....everything is on the dash board...

Am I thinking wrong?

That's where the Airbag model has the USB plug for your phone, in the trunk.
I like it there.....phone is nice and secure and the phone holder works slick.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Am I thinking wrong?
On a long trip with 2 up, wifes shoes, make up stuff dresses jeans etc :) fully loaded in the trunk, saddlebags even the soft bag tied on the luggage rack :)
On a stop when you want to check your phone it will be so difficult to get the phone out of all the luggage in the trunk.
And in urban riding which you make lots of stops in a day it would be painfull to open the trunk and take the phone out i think.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

Am I thinking wrong?
ill mount mine on the bars so that i can use it for waze or google maps. Ill run the honda nav on the bike's screen and another app on the phone. after the update, i can run 2 apps on the bike and another on the phone, making it 3.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Picture

ill mount mine on the bars so that i can use it for waze or google maps. Ill run the honda nav on the bike's screen and another app on the phone. after the update, i can run 2 apps on the bike and another on the phone, making it 3.

Picture of Lightning cord from cubby through hole drilled to up underneath handlebar to a phone holder. Sealed hole with a little Black silicone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Picture of Lightning cord from cubby through hole drilled to up underneath handlebar to a phone holder. Sealed hole with a little Black silicone.

Where did you pick up the braided Phone Cord?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts