GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...this may be a dumb question, but I hook up an IPOD shuffle to my stereo using the plug in the left pocket. Right now I just have the Shuffle stuck to the inside of the pocket with some velcro, but not very convenient for skipping tracks, etc. I would like to pull the Shuffle out of the pocket and mount it up on the dash somewhere, but there is no cutout for the wiring from the auxillary plug to thread under the door. What have you guys done to pull the cord out? If I close the door on it, it pinches the wire. Did you just cut a notch out in the door or what? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You can run wires under the pocket and into the space between the center dash and the pockets (where the handle bars are). The plastic is pretty pliable there.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tjshelton said:
You can run wires under the pocket and into the space between the center dash and the pockets (where the handle bars are). The plastic is pretty pliable there.
So, you are saying pull it back down and out of the pocket then up through that opening? Sorry I'm so dumb about this stuff, I need it all spelled out.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
CA_Dreamin' said:
tjshelton said:
So, you are saying pull it back down and out of the pocket then up through that opening? Sorry I'm so dumb about this stuff, I need it all spelled out.
Exactly.

It may take some effort, but you can squeeze a few wires through that space.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
why not get a remote???? attach the remote to the handle bar somewhere and leave the IPod inside the pocket....just an idea.

·
Registered
908 Posts
CA_

I used a chainsaw file to make a notch in the rain rim(?) and cover to run wires thru. Tight fit and no leaks into the pocket

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KYBLUE said:
why not get a remote???? attach the remote to the handle bar somewhere and leave the IPod inside the pocket....just an idea.
This is an IPOD Shuffle which the remotes don't work on. They only work on the bigger IPODs. I don't want to waste my money on another more expensive IPOD as the Shuffle's aren't all that impressive, but I will use it till it dies, which if it lasts as much as the first one won't be long now.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Lewis at EC has a 6 foot extension cable for the left pocket connector, as others stated, route the cable under the pocket and fish it up through and under the hard plastic where the other wires and cable run( clutch cable)...it's not hard, I ran my Gerbings power cable there. The you can attach the IPOD anywhere you want and have plenty of cable to connect the POD....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KYBLUE said:
Lewis at EC has a 6 foot extension cable for the left pocket connector, as others stated, route the cable under the pocket and fish it up through and under the hard plastic where the other wires and cable run( clutch cable)...it's not hard, I ran my Gerbings power cable there. The you can attach the IPOD anywhere you want and have plenty of cable to connect the POD....
I may have to check that out. Got a bonus at work so now I have money to buy some goodies!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Very simple problem. I went to Radio shack bought an extension cable. Took out the left side pocket, and pushed the aux cable out of the pocket.

I then ran the cable from where I wanted to mount the player on the bike. (I have a simple Ram Mount on a Texelent Bar) Ran the cable down the backside of the handle bars and just used some small Cable ties to attach to the bars. Ran the cable up to the left pack area pugged in the aux to the GW aux cable. Put a little elec tape around the connection.

Coiled up the excess cable under the pocket, put another cable tie on and was good to go.

Hint: when you run the aux cable, from the bars or location, turn the handle bars to max deflection to assure you have enough slop in the aux cable. When you run the cable down beside the grey fairing as it swoops under the cowl up to the cable connection you can get a piece of double sided Velcro tape. Attach a piece to the fairing, place the cable on one piece and then put the opposite piece of vecro to hold it in place. No drilling or extra clamps etc.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
tourit said:
CA_

I used a chainsaw file to make a notch in the rain rim(?) and cover to run wires thru. Tight fit and no leaks into the pocket

That will not work on an 06. They changed the lid so the lid stays with the pocket and they changed how the lid seals. I was able to cut those notches for my CD changer cord on the 02, but I had to do something else on the 06. I ended up cutting a notch for the cord in the trim that covers the four screws down the side. I have the controller wrapped for rain protection so it can stay there full time (ever when washing).

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Don't make any cuts. Run an Aux extension cord out toward the front of the bike then back up to wherever you pu the ipod. If you want to get together some time I can help you; it's really easy.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
CA_Dreamin' said:
... Did you just cut a notch out in the door or what? Thanks!
While this photo is not very clear, you get the idea. A simple notch done with a Dremel tool or round file worked for me...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
DT said:
CA_Dreamin' said:
... Did you just cut a notch out in the door or what? Thanks!
While this photo is not very clear, you get the idea. A simple notch done with a Dremel tool or round file worked for me...

That is not an 06. I took your pic, enlarged it and upped the brightness for a better look. You will have to do a lot more cutting than that as Honda added a large inner lip to the lid (on right side) and moved the seal higher into the lid (both sides). Your seal s level to where the screws are, the 06 has it raised up a bit. That same cut on the 06 will remove the seal in that spot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts