GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're taking a trip to florida, I want to take my wing. The wife wants to drive, I have no towing /Tie down knowledge.
My plan is to buy a ramp and a condor wheel chock. Load the wing in my F350 long bed.
How can I (do i need to ) secure the front end without damaging the fairing etc

Can the tailgate be left down while traveling ( cuz the wing is longer then 8-0) or do i have to build some bed extention

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
LA Chock http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Chocks.html

With one of these you needn't tie the front down. Just 2 tie downs in the back pulling slightly forward. No compressed forks or blown seals to deal with.
8)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Big Wes said:
No compressed forks or blown seals to deal with.
I've compressed my forks completely while transporting many times and my seals are just fine. I'd like to know the mechanism that would blow the seals due to compressing the forks? If compressing the forks would blow the seals, you blow them every time you hit a pothole.

I do agree with you, Wes, concerning the wheel chocks that hold the bike upright... no need to tie down the front at all.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tye down

Dosen't the owners manual have a section on this?

Secure real well!! I know someone who tied it down with only one set of straps in front and one set in back.
Part way to FL the bike came loose and went through the side of his enclosed trailer.

Better safe than sorry. Check tightness every so often along the way.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: Tye down

larry31 said:
Dosen't the owners manual have a section on this?
No, the Owner's manual is silent on hauling the Wing. The GWRRA Gold Book has a section on tieing down, but I don't trust the way they suggest. BTDT and it doesn't work for me. And one set of tie downs in front is all that's needed if you do it right. The rear set is only needed to keep the rear from moving laterally. And, yes, check the tie downs after the first 25-50 miles if you haven't hauled it before and don't really know if you've done it correctly. If they're still tight, they'll stay tight for the rest of the journey. When I was working on contract a few years ago I was hauling the bike all over the country. Never had a problem the way I do it. YOMD

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I only tie down the front too. Works. I use, however, two straps on each side just in case. I also use "continuous loop" ratchets - the ones with no hooks, just a strap and the ratchet (Harbor Freight). Using a soft strap and a two piece hook style ratchet - too many failure points and those hooks can and do damage paint just handling them.....

Continuous loop here....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=47707

·
Registered
358 Posts
Waldo, that is a neat tie-down. Not sure how it works, does the other end slip thru the rachet and the racket pull on the web to pull it tight?

Interesting that one has more working load than even one of the the 2" width...

I do like the idea.

Ken H>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts