GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few people ask about my hinted-at solution. Here it is:

6 feet of 1/8" diameter stainless steel wire rope
Two matching ferrules
6 feet of tech-flex wire cover
4 inches of adhesive-lined heat-shrink
Small pieces of duct tape

Cut the wire. Slide on the tech-flex and the heat-shrink. Bend each end of the wire to make a small loop - big enough you can put the other end loop through, but not so big it will slide off the stock helmet lock. Crimp ferrules to secure wire. Stretch out the tech-flex. Slip the heat-shrink over the ends the tech-flex and shrink. Wrap ferrules with duct tape.

Result: you see below. I run the rope through the chin guards, then run one end of the rope through the other. Slip the free end loop over the existing Honda helmet lock and you're done. NO one is getting away with unless they're carrying a large bolt or wire cutter (something more than hand-held; 1'8" diameter is too strong). No more worries with casual theft.

Winds tight, goes in a small pouch in my saddlebag organizers (Hopnel HG18SBO | Saddlebag Organizer for Goldwing GL1833).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a few people ask about my hinted-at solution. Here it is:

6 feet of 1/8" diameter stainless steel wire rope
Two matching ferrules
6 feet of tech-flex wire cover
4 inches of adhesive-lined heat-shrink
Small pieces of duct tape

Cut the wire. Slide on the tech-flex and the heat-shrink. Bend each end of the wire to make a small loop - big enough you can put the other end loop through, but not so big it will slide off the stock helmet lock. Crimp ferrules to secure wire. Stretch out the tech-flex. Slip the heat-shrink over the ends the tech-flex and shrink. Wrap ferrules with duct tape.

Result: you see below. I run the rope through the chin guards, then run one end of the rope through the other. Slip the free end loop over the existing Honda helmet lock and you're done. NO one is getting away with unless they're carrying a large bolt or wire cutter (something more than hand-held; 1'8" diameter is too strong). No more worries with casual theft.

Winds tight, goes in a small pouch in my saddlebag organizers (Hopnel HG18SBO | Saddlebag Organizer for Goldwing GL1833).

View attachment 378414

View attachment 378415
This exactly what I do as well, works well.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have two improvement suggestions. Both are too late for the one already assembled..... Just need one more size of heat shrink. Cover the loops with heat shrink and heat after crimping the ferrule giving a protective coating on the loops. The other, instead of using tape over the ferrules, use a bigger size of heat shrink and cover the ferrules, just be sure to slip them over the cable before you crimp the second ferrule. Using coated wire rope would eliminate the tech-flex wire cover, but you still need to cover the ferrules to keep them from making marks on anything.

Now for a potential issue that depends on the helmet. The cable loop and ferrule may not fit through D-rings making this less functional unless you have a solid full face helmet. For modular, 3/4 - "open face", and 1/2 - "beanies", your only option is to use a padlock bolt through the D-ring and cable loop. Have 2 helmets, you will need another padlock for its D-ring to the cable. The reason modular helmets do not work with cables through the "face opening"...... I only need a coin and 1 minute or less to take your helmet off the cable and the helmet is still 100% usable and able to be sold.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Dont forget about a bike jacket with the line threaded up and down the sleeves.
Save ya carrying it.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Save ya carrying it.
I have cable locked my coat several times, so I do keep a cable lock for that. But now, I have to remember to remove my "account access" box to my account with "The Bank Of CalTrans" from it first. May as well just leave a valid credit card in my coat.......

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two improvement suggestions. Both are too late for the one already assembled..... Just need one more size of heat shrink. Cover the loops with heat shrink and heat after crimping the ferrule giving a protective coating on the loops. The other, instead of using tape over the ferrules, use a bigger size of heat shrink and cover the ferrules, just be sure to slip them over the cable before you crimp the second ferrule. Using coated wire rope would eliminate the tech-flex wire cover, but you still need to cover the ferrules to keep them from making marks on anything.

Now for a potential issue that depends on the helmet. The cable loop and ferrule may not fit through D-rings making this less functional unless you have a solid full face helmet. For modular, 3/4 - "open face", and 1/2 - "beanies", your only option is to use a padlock bolt through the D-ring and cable loop. Have 2 helmets, you will need another padlock for its D-ring to the cable. The reason modular helmets do not work with cables through the "face opening"...... I only need a coin and 1 minute or less to take your helmet off the cable and the helmet is still 100% usable and able to be sold.
Yeah, if I was making them for money, sure. I didn't have bigger heat shrink around that would fit - so some duct tape works. And the metal ends only ever touch each other or the metal Honda helmet bracket.

Not worried about the modular - if someone is determined enough to disassemble my modular on my seat, then they're determined enough to pry open a case. And the wife has a full-face. No 3/4 or half helmets here (something like 48% of all head impact is to the jaw and face below the nose).

I used stuff I had laying around - lots of tech flex, no vinyl covered wire, so tech flex it is. Side benefit is it is MUCH slicker and slides really easy, and independent of the cable itself so less stress.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Save ya carrying it.
Done that as well. Jacket and helmet, all in one shot.

And it makes the Honda bracket useful.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Good to bring this idea back up

For those that prefer pre-made -- several different lengths and brands of security cable available.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to bring this idea back up

For those that prefer pre-made -- several different lengths and brands of security cable available.
View attachment 378436
I looked at a few at a local bike shop but was able to slip the hasp over the Honda bar. So check that first!

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Excellent suggestions as well as directions.........I also like the idea of sliding thru a jacket sleeve as well as a helmet claps and then around bikes passengers handles....Nothing can B stolen....Sure beats worry'ing about your personal expensive stuff, while trying to enjoy ourselves away from our bikes....

Ronnie

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
289 Posts
How do you lock a Shoei Nanotech? No D-ring!

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
How to easily secure 2 Shoei NeoTech2 helmets on a 2018+ Goldwing
Using two $5 Combo locks(from Amazon) one for each side
Just lift face shield & thread through it. D Rings not needed
I did add the 2020 Hand Grabs also
a.jpg

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I never use D rings for securing a helmet. I once (years, YEARS ago when I was poor) saw a screaming deal on a helmet, went to check it out - and the D rings "had come loose" so the guy had "his girlfriend sew on an extension strap with a new ring". Yeah. He sliced and ran off with the helmet.

Probably happens more than we care to imagine.

To me, the locking is just to prevent quick casual theft. If you give any determined thief a minute or two with your gear, uninterrupted - they'll get what they want. It's more for the person who just walks by, grabs, and keeps walking. Or grabs, one quick slice with a knife, and goes.

I think just seeing the cable is probably a dissuasion to most.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
So in the case above it was night time in Kerrville TX at the Texas Steakhouse & I did not want to bring the helmets in. Also a thief would need small bolt cutters. This makes it hard. I have $1000 per helmet/BT unit invested so I will take my cheapo lock & take fewer chances

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Has anyone got one of those bluetooth locks?
Im very interested,for a bit of peace of mind when out and about.
They look great.

Kiwi

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I looked at a few at a local bike shop but was able to slip the hasp over the Honda bar. So check that first!
I just loop it like in the picture, and then fasten the loop with the pin on the bike, instead of using the Honda T-handle.

(maybe we're saying the same thing?)

Anyway, I use the cable and bike only, no padlock and no Honda T bar.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts