GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use one of these, especially since my helmet doesn’t have d rings. I just run it through the helmet lock thingy that comes with the bike and throw the key in the side case.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
These are popular here, a Kiwi product. No tremble alarm, but sounds if cable is cut. Available in different legnths. Just unwind what you need and clip it up. 2.4 to 20m cable.

Many uses.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Had a few people ask about my hinted-at solution. Here it is:

6 feet of 1/8" diameter stainless steel wire rope
Two matching ferrules
6 feet of tech-flex wire cover
4 inches of adhesive-lined heat-shrink
Small pieces of duct tape

Cut the wire. Slide on the tech-flex and the heat-shrink. Bend each end of the wire to make a small loop - big enough you can put the other end loop through, but not so big it will slide off the stock helmet lock. Crimp ferrules to secure wire. Stretch out the tech-flex. Slip the heat-shrink over the ends the tech-flex and shrink. Wrap ferrules with duct tape.

Result: you see below. I run the rope through the chin guards, then run one end of the rope through the other. Slip the free end loop over the existing Honda helmet lock and you're done. NO one is getting away with unless they're carrying a large bolt or wire cutter (something more than hand-held; 1'8" diameter is too strong). No more worries with casual theft.

Winds tight, goes in a small pouch in my saddlebag organizers (Hopnel HG18SBO | Saddlebag Organizer for Goldwing GL1833).

View attachment 378414

View attachment 378415
ShanghaiBoy,

Serious question..................think back to when you were a # 2 like me.....................waaaay back................. you say "Slip the heat-shrink over the ends the tech-flex and shrink."

How ?? With what ?? My very near future goal is to become a # 3. " ....... and shrink." With what ?? How ?? Please be very specific.

Thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I never use D rings for securing a helmet. I once (years, YEARS ago when I was poor) saw a screaming deal on a helmet, went to check it out - and the D rings "had come loose" so the guy had "his girlfriend sew on an extension strap with a new ring". Yeah. He sliced and ran off with the helmet.

Probably happens more than we care to imagine.

To me, the locking is just to prevent quick casual theft. If you give any determined thief a minute or two with your gear, uninterrupted - they'll get what they want. It's more for the person who just walks by, grabs, and keeps walking. Or grabs, one quick slice with a knife, and goes.

I think just seeing the cable is probably a dissuasion to most.

Have always thought the same thing.................through the D-ring ?? Any pair of scissors and .....................POOF !!!

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ShanghaiBoy,

Serious question..................think back to when you were a # 2 like me.....................waaaay back................. you say "Slip the heat-shrink over the ends the tech-flex and shrink."

How ?? With what ?? My very near future goal is to become a # 3. " ....... and shrink." With what ?? How ?? Please be very specific.

Thanks.
Match. Hair dryer. Side of a soldering iron.

Really not that hard, provided you have more than 2 cells in that skull...:)

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
918 Posts
Match. Hair dryer. Side of a soldering iron.

Really not that hard, provided you have more than 2 cells in that skull...:)
Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought you may say something like "use a heat gun" which I've heard/read before. I swear on my children.......... then I was like, "what's a heat gun ?" Is it worth the $$$ to buy one ?? And on and on................

These things I'm sure have you thinking "this guy's and idiot." And, of course, you're right. But............ remember there was a time when you were an idiot too as far as these things go, right ??
Of course. The BIG difference is a lot ( most ?? ) of the guys on here learned/played with this stuff going back to tenn years. I'm just learning now !! I'm 66. The ONLY things I did were fluid changes, plugs, filters.............I think that's it.

Anyway...............I love your response and thanks for 'learnin' me. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Plastic coated fish line trace with crimps for the loops and a small padlock seems to keep the semi-honest thieves at bay.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Whereas I can appreciate guys making their own cables, etc. ........... this is hard to beat the casual dirtbag thief for $8.00.
Problem is, where does the cable secure on the bike? Is there a place you can run that cable through?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Problem is, where does the cable secure on the bike? Is there a place you can run that cable through?
How about thru a wheel, a crash bar (older models), a seat hold, l a fork leg, a luggage rack, or both handle bars wrapped tight enough so it can't be pulled clear. If a little thought is given there is many possibilities.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
How about thru a wheel, a crash bar (older models), a seat hold, l a fork leg, a luggage rack, or both handle bars wrapped tight enough so it can't be pulled clear. If a little thought is given there is many possibilities.
Well sure, if I want to set the helmet down on the ground there are lots of options... ;) I was wondering if there's a way to keep the helmets on the seat - and with the new ones, not sure I see a clean way to do it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I mounted these Show Chrome mounts to my rear seat. Allows me to attach my TBag to the passenger seat when the wife is not along. They do not stick up like you would think and her legs don't hit them when she does ride. They will allow me to use a cable lock with an alarm on it that would go off if it is moved at all or the cable is cut.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Well sure, if I want to set the helmet down on the ground there are lots of options... ;) I was wondering if there's a way to keep the helmets on the seat - and with the new ones, not sure I see a clean way to do it.
If it has a chin bar, run a bicycle cable thru the opening, then place one end loop thru the other end loop, and then pin the free loop using the pin Honda provided for the T handle.

Alternative method is to put the T handle thru the loop, then pin to bike.

I supposed the cable loop could be put thru a D ring, but it might be a struggle.

Longer cable could do 2 helmets, or helmet and sleeve of coat, or...

Several brands of premade loop end bicycle cables available.

Seems likely there are others.
Homemade also an option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who still uses the locks on the Gold Wing like they were intended. Maybe I'm too trusting, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had an issue...yet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If it has a chin bar, run a bicycle cable thru the opening, then place one end loop thru the other end loop, and then pin the free loop using the pin Honda provided for the T handle.

Alternative method is to put the T handle thru the loop, then pin to bike.

I supposed the cable loop could be put thru a D ring, but it might be a struggle.

Longer cable could do 2 helmets, or helmet and sleeve of coat, or...

Several brands of premade loop end bicycle cables available.

Seems likely there are others.
Homemade also an option.
Yep, I get that. I have a few of those types of cable and the T slides right through the eyelet... I can try tucking it down for the pin, though!

·
Registered
918 Posts
ShanghaiBoy,

I'm a # 2 AND I'm stupid !!! You're giving me waaay too much to consider. Do I have to figure out EVERYTHING for you ??
;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts

'Ya think ??

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who still uses the locks on the Gold Wing like they were intended. Maybe I'm too trusting, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had an issue...yet.

You and me, both. .....almost. 31 years, ride all year long, ( all 12 months ) many, many road trips, roughly 1/2 million miles.................... I had one incident. Some dirtbag(s) tried to steal
my Wee-Strom while I was on a road trip in FLA. The bike, RIGHT OUTSIDE MY HOTEL DOOR. I believe, who knows, my Kryptonite lock saved me. They really screwed up the ignition switch/key.
Believe it or not, after about 45 minutes of just forcing a long screwdriver in there and moving/jiggling the tumblers, I was able to turn the ignition !!

And, of course, I prayed those dirtbags would die.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts