GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy did I pick the wrong time of the year for my first big trip with this heat :x

Ok seasoned riders, doing the skyline to BRP and across the smokies on I think route 441 starting Friday out of Ohio.
Wearing firstgear mesh tex pants and jacket and would like any tips on syaying cool and on a side note has anyone rode 441 and how is it with 2 up?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
3,792 Posts
Bubba1, your phone is ringing!!

(He'll be along any minute now with some good advice)

Glen

·
Banned
1,247 Posts

Glen
just get the check book out and start heading west! San Diego

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

Glen
Just rolled in from work, typical Tucson day during Monsoon season: low 100'sF with mid 20% RH, and see this post.

BTW.....ROTFLMAO

Yep, questions about riding in hot WX are like catnip to a kitten, a floating fly to a trout, I especially like the ones asking about mesh.....can't help myself, have to answer, it's like a junky and a fix.

First look at some of the other hot WX related threads i.e. one on going now: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289115

Then, if you ride in temps above the high 80'sF lose the mesh and get a good textile riding suit, good gloves that are not perforated or with mesh backs, motocycle boots, a full face or modular helmet and close the face shield, and most important a set of LDComfort tights, long sleeve t-shirt, and helmet liner. With that gear you can control air flow and use evaporative cooling to ride in comfort.

If you can't afford to lose the mesh, you can still ride in reasonable comfort as long as the temps do not go too much above 110F with just the LDComfort gear under your mesh and a full face or modular helmet.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Not many truer words have been typed :).

I expect other textile riding suits work as well but I haven't tested 'em so with other than Motoport Kelvar riding suits YMMV.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
At 75 degrees, 80 mph with my Baker wings wide open, a mesh jacket is too hot for me. So this really surprised me.

• I got one of these.
  • Wet it down.
  • Wore it under my mesh jacket...with the jacket liner in.
  • Opened up my air wings.

I am amazed. All temps felt at least 10 degrees cooler. I was quite comfy at 95 degrees all zipped up and did not feel wet. The only thing I think would be better would be one of these and a textile jacket to insulate the cold inside.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
and then North to Oregon, a very comfortable 72 degrees at the moment :bow: to the weather gods!

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
As long as you are up on BRP or Skyline or up in the mountain on US441 you will be comfortable. It is when you come down into the valleys that you heat up. As long as most of the day is up in the mountains, you may even want to throw a rain jacket over the mesh at times. The valleys will be hot, but if you limit your time in them to early morning and brief outings in late evening you should be fine in just the mesh with light pants and shirt (I wear nylon hiking pants and a microfiber knit shirt) under.

US441 is great two-up. No bad curves that I am aware of. If you are taking 441 from BRP toward Gatlinburg, you should be fine. Below Gatlinburg it may start heating up. Pigeon Forge is crowded and hot - take Little River Road from South of Gatlinburg at the Sugarlands Visitor Center to 321 and Townsend (where temps will increase, but traffic will be light).

If you don't plan on retracing your route back North on the same roads, that is when you will find heat problems.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You wont believe how cool it will be if you go ahead and get the LD long sleeve shirt and LD tights under that mesh and wet them down occasionally. It doesnt even have to be cold water...just water and you will be riding very cool for an hour or so. We used squirt bottles of water and we were riding in 106 degree weather for hours.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Similar Problem--Different Solution?

I'm going to be commuting on my wing next week and have some health isues that make over heating dangerous. So, I need something that I can slip on at work without stripping off my shirt and pulling on wet underwear just so I can ride home safely. At the same time, the solution needs to protect me from over heating from North Carolina's 95+ temps and 90% humidity.

Does anyone use the phase shift pase change vest?

Any other easy-on-easy-off suggestions?

http://www.coolwingrider.com/Products.html

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm going to be commuting on my wing next week and have some health isues that make over heating dangerous. So, I need something that I can slip on at work without stripping off my shirt and pulling on wet underwear just so I can ride home safely. At the same time, the solution needs to protect me from over heating from North Carolina's 95+ temps and 90% humidity.

Does anyone use the phase shift pase change vest?

Any other easy-on-easy-off suggestions?

http://www.coolwingrider.com/Products.html

LD Comfort wear has some sleeves that are used for just that purpose. They are sleeves only but will keep you surprisingly cool if you wet them before you leave, you just put them on under your mesh jacket and wet the sleeves, take the sleeves off when you get to where you are going. We are not talking about soaking them, just wet them and wring them out and put the sleeves on.

http://ldcomfort.com/store/comfort-cool-sleeve.html

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
The LDComfort sales force on here seems to have a little problem reading the poster's questions. OP is headed out Friday, so no time to get the LD gear besides, he should be fine at altitude in just the mesh gear. The other asked about the phase change gear. I'm sure the LD gear is great stuff, but you don't need to sell it to the guy when he doesn't need it.

BTW, Bartman bought some of the phase change gear and gave a good report on it, recently. I'll leave it to the reader to do the search for it. His original post was just before WingDing, and the final report on the same thread after WingDing.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The LDComfort sales force on here seems to have a little problem reading the poster's questions. OP is headed out Friday, so no time to get the LD gear besides, he should be fine at altitude in just the mesh gear. The other asked about the phase change gear. I'm sure the LD gear is great stuff, but you don't need to sell it to the guy when he doesn't need it.

BTW, Bartman bought some of the phase change gear and gave a good report on it, recently. I'll leave it to the reader to do the search for it. His original post was just before WingDing, and the final report on the same thread after WingDing.
You know everyone loves a snide post.

The OP asked how to stay cool on an upcoming trip, folks responded, some recommended LDComfort, others other gear. Ever heard of overnight delivery, works most of the time and just costs a few bucks more. BTW, LDComfort will improve your comfort whatever the riding conditions.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

I dont work for LD Comfort, I dont get a commission, but when someone asks what works, Im going to tell him to the best of my ability. I have tried cool vests , I have tried neck wraps, I have tried just mesh, I have tried just a t-shirt, and nothing works as good as LD Comfort gear FOR THE MONEY. I have not tried phase change gear but did look into it before taking my Colorado trip. There are as many negatives about it as there are positives, but it might work for him, I can only tell what I have tried. Experience is the best teacher and even my wife that was very skeptical about the LD gear will tell you it is the only way to go when its hot outside for her. Have YOU ever tried it? One of the benefits is that it keeps the skin from drying out. As for your comment about not being able to get the LD wear in time by Friday, how is he supposed to get the phase change gear by Friday?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Just rolled in from work, typical Tucson day during Monsoon season: low 100'sF with mid 20% RH, and see this post.

BTW.....ROTFLMAO

Yep, questions about riding in hot WX are like catnip to a kitten, a floating fly to a trout, I especially like the ones asking about mesh.....can't help myself, have to answer, it's like a junky and a fix.

First look at some of the other hot WX related threads i.e. one on going now: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289115

Then, if you ride in temps above the high 80'sF lose the mesh and get a good textile riding suit, good gloves that are not perforated or with mesh backs, motocycle boots, a full face or modular helmet and close the face shield, and most important a set of LDComfort tights, long sleeve t-shirt, and helmet liner. With that gear you can control air flow and use evaporative cooling to ride in comfort.

If you can't afford to lose the mesh, you can still ride in reasonable comfort as long as the temps do not go too much above 110F with just the LDComfort gear under your mesh and a full face or modular helmet.
Hey Bubba,
You need to get out of the cool weather down there and move north about 90 miles where it really gets warm. Anyway we usually leave on rides during the summer at 6:00AM, when it's still a little cooler. It's 7:00AM now and 90degs already. We went up to Christopher Creek last Saturday morning where it was 63degs. Felt great. I wet down my LD Comfort sleeves and helmet liner before I leave and put them in a Ziplock bag. When it starts getting warm on the way back, I just take them out, put them on and ride in comfort home. They will last about 1 1/2 hours with no problem.
By the way, when you first put them on, you really notice the cool temp difference. I wear a Scorpion textile jacket.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Boy did I pick the wrong time of the year for my first big trip with this heat :x

Ok seasoned riders, doing the skyline to BRP and across the smokies on I think route 441 starting Friday out of Ohio.
Wearing firstgear mesh tex pants and jacket and would like any tips on syaying cool and on a side note has anyone rode 441 and how is it with 2 up?

Thanks.
Been up to the parkway last weekend and it is cooler up there. You probably will get some heat around Lynchburg Va. (parkways lowest point). After you pass Roanoke the elevation starts increasing. As for 441, let the better half take some valium and enjoy it.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts

Thanks.
The nice thing about the BRP is the higher altitude in some areas. While at those higher altitudes, the temps will be nice, however; those high high altitudes don't last forever and when you get below 3000', the riding will be uncomfortable.

Skyline drive have a few "higher" points, but it'll still be HOT and with speeds limited, I think I would pick a different time of year to ride the Skyline.

441 from Cherokee over to Gatlinburg is nice and will be cool at the top, but again at the lower altitudes, it'll be HOT.

The best advice I have is to travel with a cooler and drink plenty of fluid. If you had a little more time, I personally recommend the Phase Change Cooling Vest from CoolWingRider.com. I've used the evaporative vests, wet t-shirts, mesh jackets and this product it by far the best I've tried. I think the Veskimo cooling vest is probably the ultimate and I was willing to go to one of those if the phase change vest didn't work, but I'm very happy with mine and I'm glad I took the plunge.

Here is a post I made about the Cool Wing Rider Phase Change Vest. It might give you some additional information: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287493

·
Registered
320 Posts

Thanks.
A lot of good advice here, but all mute if you don't stay hydrated!!!!

FLUIDS...... More FLUIDS...... You can't imagine how much you can lose riding in hot weather.... all the tips below are based on you sweating, you can't sweat unless your hydrated... start hydrating well before you start your ride....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts