GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help how to stop intercom noise

I have a problem with the intercom. It has a noise that sounds like the alternator and goes up and down with the rpms. this noise has been this way for a long time now but it just got a lot worse over the past few weeks 4-6. Thanks a head time for the info

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know if you have the cruise on even 100% stock bikes have noise , one thing to try is cover the cruise control unit and down the side next to the unit. Its know to cause a wine that is noticable. Fred H has a picture posted on his photo collection . If you think about it the radio controls are right on the top of the cruise control unit so maybe this will help you.

I

·
0 Posts
I have a problem with the intercom. It has a noise that sounds like the alternator and goes up and down with the rpms. this noise has been this way for a long time now but it just got a lot worse over the past few weeks 4-6. Thanks a head time for the info
A ground loop isolator should fix the problem. Contact Electrical Connection for the fix.

http://www.electricalconnection.com

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
A ground loop isolator is not going to fix an intercom problem. What are you going to connect it to?

Start by tightening the battery connections. Does your passenger hear it too? If not, you could have a bad connection at one of the intercom cords. Try wiggling them at the plugs to see if it comes and goes.

You may also have a bad connection at the ground lug under the gas tank.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I know if you have the cruise on even 100% stock bikes have noise , one thing to try is cover the cruise control unit and down the side next to the unit. Its know to cause a wine that is noticable. Fred H has a picture posted on his photo collection . If you think about it the radio controls are right on the top of the cruise control unit so maybe this will help you.
+1 I covered my cruise control unit with a piece 20 ga. sheetmetal...No more cruise control whine...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Just kick her off at the next stop! :shock::lol::lol::wrong: Someone had to say it. Seriously, Fred has the fix.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
+1 I covered my cruise control unit with a piece 20 ga. sheetmetal...No more cruise control whine...
I must be misinterpreting the symptom. A few people have mentioned the cruise fix here. The cruise control noise is more of a ticking noise. It doesn't increase with rpm, and only makes noise when the cruise is activated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the cruise on and this noise is going up and down with the rpms and yes my passenger gets the same noise as i do.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Then the cruise mod won't fix your problem. There are a lot of things that can cause noise, but I would start with those battery connections and grounds.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do you have a Kenedy Cell Set as they will definately do this? The fix it to move the Kenedy module around to find a "quiet" I had to lengthen the harness on mine to get if to a really quiet spot.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Do you have a Kenedy Cell Set as they will definately do this? The fix it to move the Kenedy module around to find a "quiet" I had to lengthen the harness on mine to get if to a really quiet spot.
Might a shield around the module accomplish the same thing? :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts