GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how do you get that little 1"strip off the corners of the fairing? I think they call it "Fairing Face molding". :) :?:

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Like RP said start at the top and proceed gently. Start on one side at the top. You will then see the tabs that hold it in place.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lonnie,

The manual says to start from the top. I have had mine off several occasions and it is much easier to start from the bottom. Pull the strip to the side and release the lowest tab. Then work your way up one tab at a time. When you get to the top you can lift the strip up to release the very top tab which is in the center of the strip at the very top.

So now what do you do??? Some of the people say to start at the top and so does the manual...and Shooter Indy says to start at the bottom...you can get it off either way, but I think you increase the odds of breaking the strip by starting at the top, because it has the center tab. Try both ways if you like and let us know what you think.

Item 3 or 4 in the pic...there is a tab on the top - center of the strip that does not show on the detail.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm with Shooter, I start at the bottom pulling twoards the outside edge un-hooking one tab at a time. I broke one doining it from the top but have not doing it from the bottom.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Jimmie & Shooter are correct. You'll need to start removing it from the bottom! The manual is wrong!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
ya the reason i paid $ 50 for a manual is to be told the wrong way and break tabs off my little trim parts

now i know better

loren

·
Registered
451 Posts
My vote is for starting at the bottom I've removed them many times and once they are removed, one will see that they are easily broken if starting at the top.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Red, I see the dreaded gator...please tell me you arent a gator fan! Go 'Noles!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Comes off nice and clean from the bottom. Just pull the bottom to side and up, nice and slowly and the tabs will work themselves out nicely.

The top of the molding has a little nub, that fits under the top piece. So when replacing the molding, raise the bottom of the molding up a bit, slide that nub under the top piece and then just work it in, all the way to the bottom.

Bulldog

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lonnie save yourself some money and start at the bottom like most have said on this post.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Red said:
Jimmie & Shooter are correct. You'll need to start removing it from the bottom! The manual is wrong!
Won't go so far as saying the manual is wrong BUT the way I get ours off is to start from the bottom and work my way up one tab at a time

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
storm said:
In the wingtechtips website you mention above it says there is a 'frame problem' with the 2004 model.
Do you know what that is about? I thought the 'frame problem' concerned welds on some late '02 and
early '03 models, but not the '04 model.

Also, under "GL 1800 Aluminum Frame Cracking Issue" there is some interesting info regarding Kaiser
Aluminum, the maker of the 1800's frame. Is there an implication here that there is a problem regarding
the frame parts supplied by Kaiser, as opposed to the welding of these parts together which is
done by Honda at Marysville?

To be more accurate, it seems the title of the section should have been "GL 1800 Aluminum Frame
Weld Cracking Issue". Also, the inappropriate inclusion of the Kaiser Aluminum info under this heading
seems to imply that there is a known issue with the frame itself. That's unfortunate, since all known
problems involving the 1800 frame that I have heard about have had to do with a manufacturing
procedure change by Honda in Marysville, OH, that affected some welds.

I didn't continue to explore this site because the information I read seemed to have a distinct bias
instead of trying to provide accurate information.

JMHO, but inaccurate information like this does nothing to help resolve these issues or to help the
Gold Wing community.

I've stated my opinion. If yours is different and you'd like to tell me about it, go ahead.

$FLAMESUIT=ON

G

·
No that's fine Bob I believe I may have copied the article from a past posting - somewhere. I certainly appreciate your input and constructive criticisms I will look at it and see if I can neutralize some of the wordage.
I think this was information copied during the frame flame wars back a few months and I should have researched it further before inclusion.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Take it off whichever way is easiest.... but take it off in the warmest possible environment.... even if it means putting the bike in a friend or relative's heated garage.

If it isn't at least 50 degrees, I don't take plastic off unless it is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
storm said:
No that's fine Bob I believe I may have copied the article from a past posting - somewhere. I certainly appreciate your input and constructive criticisms I will look at it and see if I can neutralize some of the wordage.
I think this was information copied during the frame flame wars back a few months and I should have researched it further before inclusion.
Thanx for looking into this... it's much appreciated. :s27:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Too Cold

Another word of warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS WHEN THE PLASTIC IS COLD!!!!!!!!!

This is another easy way to break off the little plastic tabs!
Hope that you have heated work area.

But I agree that you start at the bottom of the trim and work your way up.

P.S. It is too cold today. Snow and 32 for a high.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts