GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 GW1800 with a Champion kit. When purchased I paid for it to have a 4.5 rake. Written on the bill. I had my bike service this week and the mech. mention that if I had the trike raked it would handle better.
I said"it is or at least I paid for it".. I measured from backside of front tire to engine cowling 1 3/4 in.. Does this sound right? I trike owner said " his was 4 3/8 in"... Any help is great before trailering 4 hours to dealer and find out it is raked.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
1 3/4 does not indicate a rack to me:eek:4:
Mine has a 4 1/2deg rake and measures approx 3 1/2" from the lower tip of the fender to the small flat on the lower part of the timing cover.

If it steers like a truck and wants to pull the bars out of your hands doing intersection turns and only measures 1 3/4" I would summit someone forgot to do something:shrug:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I can't answer your question, but 1-3/4 inch clearance is not much at all. I went out and "eyeballed" it. 1-3/4" is pretty close to the clearance of my stock wing front wheel from the engine.

If your trike is raked, the front wheel sure was close to the engine before it was raked.

Hope this helps,
2W

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Absolutely not raked!!!

If it doesn't look like the photos below it isn't raked, and someone owes you a good chunk of money back,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The rear of the front fender is farther away from the cowl on a raked one.
You can also park next to a two wheeler and you'll see the diference.

It does make steering alot easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
raked or not

thanks so much for your input... I have talked with the dealer and he will make it right... Maybe the next time I ride the Dragon it won't kill my arms.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The easiest way to tell if the rake kit is installed or not is to put a square
on the bottom triple clamp and if the fork tube goes through square with
the triple clamp you do not have a rake kit. You can also measure the amount
of angle at this point also.

Greg

·
Registered
927 Posts
The easiest way to tell if the rake kit is installed or not is to put a square
on the bottom triple clamp and if the fork tube goes through square with
the triple clamp you do not have a rake kit. You can also measure the amount
of angle at this point also.

Greg
On my Champion, you don,t even need the square. Run your fingers over the edges of the fork caps, and it's clear they're tilted with respect to the top of the triple clamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts