GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2009 trike (Champion) and the seller said he installed a triple tree also. Anyway of telling/measuring the rake angle?

Thanks

·
Registered
859 Posts
Couple of thoughts here - Honda specs say that OEM rake angle is 29.15 degrees... Placing an inclinometer on the front fork will probably yield a different number possibly showing the increase of rake... For example, if the inclinometer now shows 35.15 degrees, it's a good bet that the bike has a 6 degree rake kit on it... Might be a bit difficult reading a 1 or 2 degree difference though...

Another possible way is to measure the distance between the bottom of the rear fender and the lower cowl on a bike with a known rake angle... When a rake kit is installed, the distance between the bottom of the rear fender and lower cowl increases, so if you knew the distance for a given rake kit, that would tell you what you have as well...

I have a 4.5 degree kit on mine and I could do both for you but I am out of town right now and won't be home until Saturday...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you know the brand of tree, you can go to their website and see. There aren't too many out there, so it shouldn't be to hard to search out the answer. And then you would know for future reference too. As an aside, did they install fork extender's in yours? My brother didn't get the extenders in his when he had the tree installed and the front end sat dangerously low. 2" extenders made a big difference. Ride and handleing improved.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the info. I would be curious about your measurement.

I'll take a measurement and post it when we get home Saturday...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sorry it took so long for the measurement but I've been busy prepping for a trip and I kinda forgot about it...

Anyway, I measured the distance from the lower part of the timing cover to the front fender... With my Traxxion 4.5 degree kit installed, the measurement is 4 3/4"...

I could have measured lower down the fender but I have a fender extension installed and unless you have the same one, that measurement would be meaningless...

Les

1 - 8 of 8 Posts