GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by stating that I am not slamming anybody here, just relating my recent experience. Also, I am somewhat paranoid, so may be suspicious for no reason whatsoever.

I recently (01/02) had my '03 Wing into a local dealer for a "30,000" service. Part of that service included replacing the air filter, needed or not. I went along with the program, as I wanted to be certain Mother Honda had a record of full service having been done. I keep records & receipts for the oil changes, etc, that I do myself. The bill when completed was over $500.00, at a $99.00 P.H. rate. I kicked myself in the --- and paid it without complaint.

Yesterday I removed the top shelter to run some wiring, and noticed that I couldn't tell that anything had been touched under there. All the bolts had accumulated road dust on them and also on the places where they attached. I have Fred's video's and know that a lot of things need to be removed to get to the aircleaner, and it doesn't look as if it had been done.

Of course I wasn't allowed in the service area, and I was too trusting to ask for the replaced parts. So, I had the choice of removing the remaining items to check the filter or replacing the top shelter and going riding. Sure was a beautiful day here in N. Fl.!

Two things I've learned: Do it yourself if at all possible, and hope Mother Honda recognizes your log and receipts; and, 2: if using a dealer, get the old parts back!

Hopefully I won't be that stupid again.
Paul

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yep ask for Your old parts and don't let a meachanic touch your bike who cannot show you their certifications, did the owner send them to school, if so they are much more likely to do what they should, most? (lots of) dealers don't have certified mechanics or only have one, make sure that one does your work. I got lazy once upon a time and doing it myself the next time finding work that had not been done that I paid for was enough for Me forever,
p.s. tell the dealer owner your thoughts , but He may not really care?
Sorry for your misfourtune

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
For your own piece of mind I'd take her down and see for myself. If indeed you were charged for work not accomplished ? How many other guys/gals have gotten screwed. You were a paying customer, never complained ? Just paid the bill. Now ! If you find that the work was not accomplished ? Oh ! I'd be having a little talk with the man in charge, or I should say he would be listening to me.......... :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Put it this way: there may be a $500 bill in your airbox. Get your digital camera and a neighbor for a witness and pop it open. If the old one is still in there, then leave the bike open and take the filter into the dealer for your refund. While you're there you can pick up a new filter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Had a similar experience with a major stealer in Irvine with my VTX. Took it in for an initial valve check and adjust, but had no forum experience then so I didn't know what I didn't know. The bike has a tank bib on it that ties underneath in a certain way, which must be removed to lift the tank so you can get to the guts. When I got it back, I noticed the bib had never been even so much as untied, yet I got a bill for over $200. Never went back for anything else.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Reddwing said:
Had a similar experience with a major stealer in Irvine with my VTX. Took it in for an initial valve check and adjust, but had no forum experience then so I didn't know what I didn't know. The bike has a tank bib on it that ties underneath in a certain way, which must be removed to lift the tank so you can get to the guts. When I got it back, I noticed the bib had never been even so much as untied, yet I got a bill for over $200. Never went back for anything else.
Was this Mission Motorsports? I gave them a test last week on a recall inspection. Made the appointment, dropped the bike off. Seven hours later I called to see if if was ready and it hadn't been touched yet so I went down and picked it up. Service writers are all kids and their website has an ad for a service manager. They had no concept that when they tell someone that the bike is to be serviced per appointment, that it should be kept.

I have an appointment tomorrow at LeBard & Underwood in La Habra. Calling the service department there is completely different. I called JBJ Cycles and asked them where they would take a recall or warranty repair and, without hesitation they recommended Underwood.

Tomorrow, we will see, but I am encouraged so far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
gpick said:
Reddwing said:
Was this Mission Motorsports? I gave them a test last week on a recall inspection. Made the appointment, dropped the bike off. Seven hours later I called to see if if was ready and it hadn't been touched yet so I went down and picked it up. Service writers are all kids and their website has an ad for a service manager. They had no concept that when they tell someone that the bike is to be serviced per appointment, that it should be kept.

I have an appointment tomorrow at LeBard & Underwood in La Habra. Calling the service department there is completely different. I called JBJ Cycles and asked them where they would take a recall or warranty repair and, without hesitation they recommended Underwood.

Tomorrow, we will see, but I am encouraged so far.
Hey gpick,

LeBard is a good choice. Buddies of mine have had their steeds worked on there and had no complaints. And yes, it was Mission MS, back before they moved from the auto center off Rockfield over to where they are now, and before the name change. I wouldn't take a bike of mine there if I made a profit doing it. Didn't like the service manager then either. Mention the word "internet" in connection with any how-to, tip, trick, etc. and he'd just roll his eyes. Then they'd screw ya! Jumpin' Judas H. Never again.

See ya at Wingstuff some Saturday?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
If you can turn a screwdriver and twist a open end wrench, You can open it up and look at that air filter, It had better really be GREEN, If it has big black blotches, you have been screwed !! And a lot of the dealers will do that !!

After you open it all up once, you can do it in 1/3rd the time. You can do the whole thing in less than two hours easy !!

It's your bike, learn to care for it !!

PS, if you can't do it, get your wife or kid, or even the kid next door !! :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Stealers

Personally I do my own but would have to check something like that out, I couldn't rest until I knew for sure. If it wasn't changed I'd go back with it and tear him a new one!! :evil:

·
Registered
525 Posts
See ya at Wingstuff some Saturday?
Will do. I need to see how your seat mod came out. I was strongly considering a new seat, but after I redid the suspension I haven't noticed it. Back, yes. Butt, no.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
PhoenixRising01 said:
I recently (01/02) had my '03 Wing into a local dealer for a "30,000" service.
Yesterday I removed the top shelter to run some wiring, and noticed that I
couldn't tell that anything had been touched under there. All the bolts had
accumulated road dust on them and also on the places where they attached.
Hey Paul,
First, I go along with the consensus of inputs you've received,
(I've sure seen a bunch of "smoke and mirrors" work
done by questionable shops in 42 years of riding).
BUT, these bikes are notorious for picking up dust/dirt/grime under the plastic.
Every time I open up my wing I'm amazed at how dirty it's gotten in even a short time
(and generally riding on what I would call fairly clean roads).
I only make this observation as I wasn't sure how many miles had passed,
or where you'd been on the bike, since the local dealer visit.
If it's been on dirty roads at all and/or you've done many miles,
the road dust may just be the newest layers since the dealer visit.
But, like Tom (KA7W) says....You can check it easy,
And like Teaser says...I couldn't rest until I knew for sure. :lol:
And maybe Rick Mays makes the most profound point....If something is amiss
and the dealer doesn't know what's going on, somebody sure needs to inform them.
DC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts