GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk is loose. The whole thing moves up and down. I snugged up the four bolts that have the rubber washers that are in the bottom. I'm afraid to really wrench on them, but it really doesn't seem to me that those would do it anyway. I looked through my manual and can't seem to find the detail on it. Any suggestions? I'm sure that's where alot of my rattle noise is coming from. thanks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Page 3-20 of the 2006 service manual shows that the 4 bolts you describe are the mounting bolts. Make sure they are not cross threaded.

trunk1.jpg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If the four bolts are tight it sounds like the bracket that holds the trunk may be loose. You'll have to take the trunk loose to lift it up and check the bracket.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Tighten all conceivable nuts and bolt associated with the trunk even if they don't look like they are for the trunk. Every screw and bolt on the back of the bike that are aft of the pocket doors. Unfortunately it probably won't help. Put something between the lid and the trunk and go for a small ride on a rough road. Yes, your display will show an open trunk, but.... if the rattles go away, there are solutions to a trunk lid - Baby Buggy bumpers - putting 1/4" hose inside the gasket.

I've done all I can to to mine, but it still sounds like a junk wagon when I go over RR tracks and the like. It still moves.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pingjocky,
that is the detail I have and I drew those little bolts as tight as I could without snapping them and still had play. I just took one out and see that they screw into a female shaft nut (not the proper term), an a rubber washer around the shaft. So the little bolts were drawn as tight as possible down against the washer and shaft. It seems to me that the rubber washer lost its thickness and should be replaced. I had two washers that had a center hole big enough to go around the shaft and allow me to draw tight against the rubber. Its all snug now. Thanks.

Waldo,
The only thing I hate about my wing is the fact that it is a rattle bucket!

Highpockets,
it seems like it wasn't the brackets, which pleases me because I sure didn't want to tear it apart.

thanks for the quick responses.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
GET A CAN OF THAT EXPANDABLE FOAM FROM SUPPLIER WHILE YOUR OUT RIDING AROUND ( I MEAN WORKING ):wrong::lol::lol: LOAD IT UP . GUARANTEE NO MORE RATTLES :bow::bow:. CAN YOU ADD ANOTHER RUBBER WASHER TO TRUNK BOTTOM?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GET A CAN OF THAT EXPANDABLE FOAM FROM SUPPLIER WHILE YOUR OUT RIDING AROUND ( I MEAN WORKING ):wrong::lol::lol: LOAD IT UP . GUARANTEE NO MORE RATTLES :bow::bow:. CAN YOU ADD ANOTHER RUBBER WASHER TO TRUNK BOTTOM?
LOL! I'll try the foam on a day off.

Yes, I think new rubber washers are needed, but for now I think that what I did will work, since the pressure is still against the rubber.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
added another rubber washer to mine a couple years ago, local hardware store had a nice selection of rubber washers to choose from, yes I think the original seemed kind of worn out . :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Well, maybe check the frame at the suspect areas behind the passenger floor boards to make sure they are not cracked through.

prs

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
add a hose washer under the metal washer.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I would empty everything out of the back first and go on your normal rides and make sure hard or metal objects aren't hitting the inside plastic first. Can even do it to the saddle bags also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts