GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The remote locking of my trunk has never worked, and I recently found the instructions of how to re set it with the provided remote.
Ive followed the instructions exactly but cannot get it to work.
Even bought a new remote on e bay but still no joy.
Any help to locate the problem would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have to ask this because garage door remotes are part of my profession. Can we verify the remote battery is good ? After programming, would the red panic button activate the horns ?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Does any function work? Does the red light on the remote blink when you activate the trunk unlock? Do the turn signals/tail lights blink? If not, any broken wires in the harness at the right side trunk hinge?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The remote red light works when you press the remote, however you say about a panic button
Theres only two buttons on this remote
I will send a pic

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Im beginning to suspect that they have sent me the wrong remote
What do you think?
Never seen a remote for the wing that looks like that one, it's the wrong remote.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ok. We may have that mystery solved. Now getting back to your original remote that never opened the truck, when you pressed any of the buttons on it did the bike respond ? I'm assuming you had the original Honda key fob. What year Wing ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a 2005 wing and it never worked with the original remote
It wasnt until I read something on this forum that I knew what the remote was for.
Nothing happens at all when I tried the original remote that came with the bike, I put a new battery in it without succes
Theres someone on e bay selling the remote trunk lock complete with keyless remote for 85 usd
Its from a 2002 bike
What do you think?

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
Why throw money at it? Doubt a new box and remote will help. Maybe a broken wire at the right trunk hinge area.

Sent from iPhone

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
Its a 2005 wing and it never worked with the original remote
It wasnt until I read something on this forum that I knew what the remote was for.
Nothing happens at all when I tried the original remote that came with the bike, I put a new battery in it without succes
Theres someone on e bay selling the remote trunk lock complete with keyless remote for 85 usd
Its from a 2002 bike
What do you think?
The first thing I would do is to remove the trunk lid inner shell and check the control unit's connection to the harness.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
Just remember my remote quit working, the dreaded broken wires in the trunk hinge area will also cause this problem.

Broken lock wire in trunk
It is a possibility, but he said it never worked from new. Usually the wires need a little use/flexing before they break. :shrug:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was thinking new used, but new new something else is a miss.

It takes me 20 minutes to lay the characters down on the replies ( anybody else having problems?)

·
Registered
513 Posts
While we're on the subject

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am going to have to work on my trunk lock problem when I get time this Spring.
Last Fall the while on vacation the when I opened the trunk only for a few seconds the trunk would lock the latches
then I couldn't close the trunk, the lid just bounced open. I would have to hit the unlock button and try to get the
lid closed before it locked again.
My bike is a 2002 and I've had it since it was new so I've opened that lid quite a few times through the years.
I'll check for broken wires but I was thinking I might need a new module.

Have you ever heard of this happening?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I removed the trunk lid and checked for any cable damage but everything seems ok
Ive sent a photo there is a red plug that isnt connected is that ok?
Is there a way to check the control unit or is this fused?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
Ok so I removed the trunk lid and checked for any cable damage but everything seems ok
Ive sent a photo there is a red plug that isnt connected is that ok?
Is there a way to check the control unit or is this fused?
Ok, you need to check the red/yellow wire for power with the key off and the light green/black wire for power with the key on using the solid green wire for ground. The red/yellow wire is fused with the fuse labeled "battery". The fuses are probably ok or you would have other things not working right. The red plug in there is for the optional trunk light.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread but I am going to have to work on my trunk lock problem when I get time this Spring.
Last Fall the while on vacation the when I opened the trunk only for a few seconds the trunk would lock the latches
then I couldn't close the trunk, the lid just bounced open. I would have to hit the unlock button and try to get the
lid closed before it locked again.
My bike is a 2002 and I've had it since it was new so I've opened that lid quite a few times through the years.
I'll check for broken wires but I was thinking I might need a new module.

Have you ever heard of this happening?
Has it ever said the trunk was open when it wasn't? If not, then your module may be the culprit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts