GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using the instructions posted by someone on the board (sorry, can't remember who posted them or I'd give credit) I wired in an additional jack to the audio out of the front headset/microphone jack. That way I can use earbuds instead of just J&M speakers. It works great but I'm a bit worried how it will hold up when I hit the inevitable rain storm. Does anybody have a method they used to semi water proof this type of jack?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sending it back to the top just once to see if anyone may have any ideas...

·
Registered
637 Posts
2 things come to mind...you could either just roll an o-ring up to the connection point or put a "hood" over it with heat-shrink...I don't think I'd worry about it though.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
How about just put a piece of aluminum foil in the bike somewhere and if it starts pouring rain, just wrap that around the plug and form it to the wire and all. No tape, or rubber bands. Just scrunch it around the plug.

You could also use dielectric grease on the plug, that would keep water out.

Kit

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I did the same mod on my 1500 and now my 1800. I have been caught in several rains and have had no problems. My trike sat in a downpour last Sept. for about 3 hours and it worked fine after.

·
Registered
855 Posts
like the heat shrink/hood idea -- good think'n, Chuck!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Kim, what's the big grey knob for?????

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Visit your local hardware store, find some silicon tubing that will fit over the big end. Your small end should easily slip inside the tube to make the connection. Keep the small end down, and water should run the end just like a cape cover. If it is too much of a struggle to get the small end plugged in, just slit the silicon tubing along the bottom. You will get plenty of protection from rain and short of total immersion your connectors should stay dry. I would shy away from any type of grease, since it would be a magnet for grit.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You could also use dielectric grease on the plug, that would keep water out.

Kit
Yup, it works on the helmet connection that is exposed to the weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts