GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am customizing an early model Bushtec trailer. I am using GL1800 saddle bag housings at the bottom of the trailer, and trunk housings at the top of the trailer.
Can someone provide a wiring diagram that would make an 1157 bulb work for all three functions (marker/brake/turn). It is easy enough to make it do two functions but I'm confused on how to make it do all three. I have seen it done before so I sure someone can explain it to me.:thumbup:

Richard Schmidt

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

The common wiring where the 1157 bulbs are used are the 4 wire setup. white for Ground wire, Brown wire for tail lights, yellow is left signal and green is right signal. The brake lights work through the signal light wiring.

On newer model vehicles where the turn signals are separate lights is where you run into the 5 wire setup. Here you have a separate brake light wire.

On the Goldwing the wiring harness you get will come with a 5 wire setup, because the Wing uses separate signal lights. You will need to purchase a 5 to 4 wire adapter to be able to use the 1157 bulbs as tail/signal/brake.

hope this explains what you need to know to get it all working.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't have a diagram or component numbers, but I believe it would require a diode to prevent on of the functions (ie: turn signal) feeding back into the marker circuit. I believe it would also require a resistor in the marker circuit to drop the voltage to the bulb so the marker was not as bright as the turn/brake lights.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK; going to find the 5 to 4 ; but I have to provide the following.

The saddle bag housings, used at the bottom of the trailer (are from an 1800, but have sockets from a 1500). Red housing is using an 1157 that will be connected to the marker, and brake outlets from my GL1800. The amber turn signal is single purpose (1156) and will be connected to the turn signal outputs from my GL1800.

Easy enough; but the next part is where I'm getting confused.

The top of the trailer is using the trunk light housings from a GL1800, and using 1500 sockets. I want the top lights (1157 3 wire socket) to provide marker/brake/turn signal functions.

Can I take the GL1800 wire feeds (from the bike; through a rivco isolator) and connect them to the bottom housing (as is); and split off the bottom housing feed to the 5 to 4 isolator for the (top of trailer feed).

Reader digest version:

GL1800 saddle bag lights at bottom of trailer are using an 1157 bulb in red section (fed by GL1500 socket). Amber section is using 1156 bulb fed by GL1500 socket.

GL1800 trunk light housings are being used at top of trailer using 1157 bulb, connected via GL1500 (three wire) socket.

I plan on connecting bottom (saddle bag) lights direct from bike, jumping 5 to 4 adaptor for top lights.

Assuming I have not made this too confusing for you to read, what is input on proposed wiring.

Rick

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Wiring

I think you have it planned out correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts