GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search function and it returned too many bad results. So I am asking a newby question.

I will be mounting a GPS unit on the left handlebar. Where is the best place on a GL1800 to connect the power and what is the best path to route the wires? Is there an accessory panel, or should I go straight to the battery?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Opinions will vary greatly on this question.......and there are those that will say DO NOT go directly to the battery because if you forget to turn it off it will run down your battery.

I Disagree......

I use a Garmin 2720 on both my bikes even though my wing has NAV built in. I have mine mounted on the left bar just like you want to do and have it powered directly to the battery.

I LOVE the convenience of using the GPS while the ignition is off. I will plan a route, or look for a restaurant or hotel while i am parked or talking to my wife at a rest stop. I turn it on at the beginning of my ride and turn it off when I put her away at the end. In the mean time it stays on .....even at lunch stops. I HATE to have the GPS go through the booting process every time I get back on it after a gas stop or a lunch stop when I am trying to get back in route. If you hook it to the power in the left pocket it will power down every time you turn the ignition off. Usually that is when i need it the most to get me out of a big shopping center parking lot or down a one way back to where I need to get to,

Anyway, if you agree with my logic, go directly to the battery and put a fuse in the line. Your GPS manufacturer will likely have a battery power source for your GPS for a few bucks.

Go down the left handlebar and zip tie it and then fish it through under the left side of the tupperware to the side cover on the left (remove side cover) and then zip tie it to the frame and to the battery. You will need about a 6" power cord.

For me, direct to the battery is the only way. Pretty simple really:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
You can reference this post on how I installed my heated grips. It will give you instructions for routing the wires down the handlebar.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3153383&postcount=1

As far as connecting the GPS to power, there is a switched, 12V connector under the left fairing pocket. Depending on the GPS, you can get a plug-n-play wiring harness/cable to make the installation simple. If you using one of the "unpopular" models of GPS's, you can either use a 12V cigarette lighter connection or get a Hitachi connector from Electrical Connection and modify your plug yourself.

Of, you can go straight to the battery.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Yep, what Bartman said!

But you don't have to take all the tupperware off to fish one wire back there. Just use an electrician's fishce (sp) wire or any piece of flexible wire will work to fish under the tupperware between the left front pocket and the side cover on the left side. Fish it through, hook your power cord to it and pull it back through.

5 minute job........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts