GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed oil yesterday. Since I've installed a belly pan last summer, I had to remove the front part of it (two screws) to get to the drain plug and the filter.

The front part of the belly pan was really dirty and covered in road gunk so decided to clean it up. Once cleaned, I've noticed a rather large dent on one side (see photo), "earned" who knows when somewhere on the road.

And where is the dent? Of course, right in front of the oil filter. Without a belly pan, I could possibly be stranded somewhere on the road with damaged oil filter and no oil in the engine.

Needless to say, glad I have a belly pan.

(your experience might vary)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have the same one and mine has been scraped and has numerous dents. Well worth the price for damage avoidance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
I choose not to use a belly pan. The main reason is having to deal with it when pressure testing the cooling system for leak ... it always has to be removed first. Instead I use an OEM oil filter that has a much thicker shell then the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Thousands and Thousands of Wing's on the road without Belly Pans. How many failures from damaged oil filters have been reported? I don't know of any.

Just because there are dents in the Belly Pan does not mean there would have been a failure from a damaged oil filter.

I have ridden Wing's since 1979 (several hundred thousand miles) with no Belly Pans. Never had an issue without one. Neither have my riding friends.

Works for me. Your mileage may be different...!

I am always amazed how "hype" from aftermarket folks and recommendations/suggestions from other riders can cause/influence folks to spend money.

Now I will answer your question "How Useful Is Belly Pan". Not at all useful for me....!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I'm sure there's a ton of riders that never ever had any issues without one. And I would not be surprised at all if I took mine off and it was in perfect shape.

However, that dent kinda convinced me it was a good decision. And even that dent is not a proof that the oil filter would be damaged. But seeing it, I'm glad I had that belly pan installed last summer.

Just sharing my experience, that's all...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Instead I use an OEM oil filter that has a much thicker shell then the aftermarket ones.
I would put a Baldwin B1400 up against the Honda OEM filter any day in terms of quality of construction and ruggedness.
And its price is 1/3 that of the OEM.

Just because it says Honda on the shell doesn't make it the best oil filter choice.
Would you even consider a Toyo Roki filter if it didn't say "Honda" on it?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I remember someone posting here where something hit the oil filter so hard that it not only destroyed the filter, it took out a chunk of the block where the filter screws on, requiring a replacement of the block. Pretty rare, but it has happened. I have one on my 2006 - a STEEL one, not aluminum. That's to protect the oil filter, block and coolant reservoir. It's a Tulsa and, unfortunately they don't make them anymore. Neither does Macguyver (sp). Eventually I will get a black one for my 2017. I believe they are a good thing.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have had one on my Wing since it was New...When ever I change the oil, the bottom of the engine looks like brand new...I have had two pans only changed because I wanted a new SS one...Been on since 2014...John

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Waiting for one to become available for the 2018+

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm curious:

@Tisunac how did you get that pan so clean? Mine is nasty.

@GoldWingrGreg , why does the pan have to come off for pressure test? With the UView and pinching off the overflow tube, pressure test is all done from the right pocket. What am I missing?

I understand a belly pan makes it a lot harder to remove and clean the overflow bottle. I settle for vacuuming out. And that it impedes visual inspection in some areas.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
My vote will be YES ! I'm glad that I have it............
If that extra front plate , and removal of the two screws, makes it that hard to change your oil.... Then I say take your chances, and remove the Belly plate........Mines a "keeper"

Ronnie

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
I'm curious:

@Tisunac how did you get that pan so clean? Mine is nasty.

@GoldWingrGreg , why does the pan have to come off for pressure test? With the UView and pinching off the overflow tube, pressure test is all done from the right pocket. What am I missing?

I understand a belly pan makes it a lot harder to remove and clean the overflow bottle. I settle for vacuuming out. And that it impedes visual inspection in some areas.
Is a UView a pressure tester ???

The reason a belly pan needs removed is to allow coolant to drip to the ground to determine if there is a coolant leak. About 50% of the Wings that come to my shop and are pressure tested fail a pressure test. That means they have coolant leak(s). In almost all cases, the owner is unaware of that their Wing is leaking coolant leaks ... no drips onto their garage floor, no smells. Also, as you stated, the reservoir needs removed to inspect the tube-level and reservoir hose for cracking.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Judging by the pristine (NOT!) condition of my Belly Pan, I'm rather glad that I have it.
. View attachment 369218
That's the other problem with belly pans. Their back edge gets caught when loading or off-loading from a trailer. It looks like your damage was from off-loading. Most coolant reservoirs get damaged that way too. To me a better choice would be no belly-pan, with better care in off-loading, or getting a better fitting trailer with a different ramp.

Also as seen, many belly pans have poor fitment for the overfill hoses. On the one shown below, the belly pan can be pushing up on the hoses, and depending on the routing of those hoses, sometimes those hoses are then pushed to close or into the exhaust header which makes them become hard and brittle. Once hard and brittle, some will break. For safety reasons, the fuel overflow hose needs routed past the hot exhaust with free passage to the ground.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts