GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Changed oil yesterday. Since I've installed a belly pan last summer, I had to remove the front part of it (two screws) to get to the drain plug and the filter.

The front part of the belly pan was really dirty and covered in road gunk so decided to clean it up. Once cleaned, I've noticed a rather large dent on one side (see photo), "earned" who knows when somewhere on the road.

And where is the dent? Of course, right in front of the oil filter. Without a belly pan, I could possibly be stranded somewhere on the road with damaged oil filter and no oil in the engine.

Needless to say, glad I have a belly pan.

(your experience might vary)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You just found the useful part of the belly pan. Oil filter protection =oil in your engine not air if you have a rock poke a hole in your filter and piss out all your oil without you knowing it.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Ouch! Yours is the worst that I have seen....... Glad you had the belly pan myself..........

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
That's the other problem with belly pans. Their back edge gets caught when loading or off-loading from a trailer. It looks like your damage was from off-loading. Most coolant reservoirs get damaged that way too. To me a better choice would be no belly-pan, with better care in off-loading, or getting a better fitting trailer with a different ramp.

Also as seen, many belly pans have poor fitment for the overfill hoses. On the one shown below, the belly pan can be pushing up on the hoses, and depending on the routing of those hoses, sometimes those hoses are then pushed to close or into the exhaust header which makes them become hard and brittle. Once hard and brittle, some will break. For safety reasons, the fuel overflow hose needs routed past the hot exhaust with free passage to the ground.
View attachment 369221
No loading or off-loading ever done with this bike. The damage seen was caused by a rock that fell onto the road directly in front of me and couldn't be avoided. I've often seen those signs that say "FALLING ROCK" but have only actually seen it happen once . . . and I managed to hit it. Glad I had the Belly Pan.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I can’t believe that after two years, none of the manufactures have designed a belly pan for the new bike? I guess it’s not that sexy, like highway pegs or farkle chrome!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Is a UView a pressure tester ???

The reason a belly pan needs removed is to allow coolant to drip to the ground to determine if there is a coolant leak. About 50% of the Wings that come to my shop and are pressure tested fail a pressure test. That means they have coolant leak(s). In almost all cases, the owner is unaware of that their Wing is leaking coolant leaks ... no drips onto their garage floor, no smells. Also, as you stated, the reservoir needs removed to inspect the tube-level and reservoir hose for cracking.
Yes. https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G

Thanks for the extra info. What I'm hearing is that there is value to drip testing and other repair / inspect access that should not be discounted (I agree) but that's different that a pressure test so I'm not necessarily screwing that part up.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm curious:

@Tisunac how did you get that pan so clean? Mine is nasty.

@GoldWingrGreg , why does the pan have to come off for pressure test? With the UView and pinching off the overflow tube, pressure test is all done from the right pocket. What am I missing?

I understand a belly pan makes it a lot harder to remove and clean the overflow bottle. I settle for vacuuming out. And that it impedes visual inspection in some areas.
I've been using this Carnauba Wax Cleaner spray for everything on my bike. Works pretty well, spray on, polish off, done.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
All hype. Don't do any good. Waste of money. Water cooled motor will overheat due to no air flow. Better to spend money on much more needed items. etc. etc. etc.
pan4.jpg
pan5.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased one for my 2015. The back part is mounted but it didn't come with the screws for the front piece. Anyone have any idea what size those screws are? Even though it is no big task, I was hoping not to take it back off to figure out the screw size.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Belly pan threads are as much fun as tire threads, and almost as much fun as oil threads.

Damage to an belly pan doesn't mean that the bike/filter would have failed without one.
Damage to a bike/filter that didn't have one, doesn't mean that it would have been saved by a belly pan.

Do what makes you happy!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'll post my standard answer since the days of the original Aspencade.
Honda is absolutely excellent at stealing ANY ideas for upgrading the Wing. Starting back with the GL1100, they added fairings, windshields, luggage, radios, CBS, intercoms, TPMS and on and on.
They have never added belly pans (their original answer was heating issues) or fork graces. Not in the 40 years that I've owned Goldwings. Works for me :cool:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'll post my standard answer since the days of the original Aspencade.
Honda is absolutely excellent at stealing ANY ideas for upgrading the Wing. Starting back with the GL1100, they added fairings, windshields, luggage, radios, CBS, intercoms, TPMS and on and on.
They have never added belly pans (their original answer was heating issues) or fork graces. Not in the 40 years that I've owned Goldwings. Works for me :cool:
Not in my 40 years owning and riding Gold Wing's either.

If there were enough issues (percentage wise) "with no mechanical issues" to justify a Belly Pan, Honda would have included one on the bikes.

Always amazed how some riders are more knowledgeable than the Honda engineers....about a product they didn't design!

·
Vendor
16,399 Posts
Of the 5 engine cases that I've replaced, 3 had belly pans. From what I've seen, when a belly is about to be stabbed, the pan begins to envelop around the object assuring the puncture ... cha ching, cha ching, cha ching !!!

From a businessman's perspective, please, please, please use a belly pan.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I will have to very politely and respectfully disagree with the last couple premises.

If that theory is right, meaning if the bike needs something different, Honda would install it in the first place - all the manufacturers of the aftermarket parts would bankrupt a long time ago.

Yeah, there are riders that are keeping their Wings stock...but there are so many riders that would install an aftermarket product because they see a need for it.

Think of all the aftermarket seats, windshields, suspensions, anti-dive eliminators, light bulbs, luggage racks, bag liners, highway pegs, Wind wings,.....and the list goes on and on.

Honda makes a great bike. And a lot of riders sees it as an excellent platform, from where they start to "build" their own bike, the one that works for them.

Again (repeating myself), not trying to convince anyone or change anyone's mind...just sharing my recent experience.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Heh Farmy, belly pans DO save engines! With 7,000+ posts, you’re just joking here, right??
Not joking at all.

What I was trying to indicate is that having one doesn't guarantee no failures (see Gregs posts) and not having on doesn't guarantee there will be failures (posts from those that don't have one and haven't had an issue)

We don't know that the damage shown on belly pan sheet metal would have resulted in engine damage if the pan wasn't installed.
Pretty much everyone that has one can show a damaged one -- which means that pretty much everyone that doesn't have on has also had similar debris hit the underside of their bikes as well.

Have some engines/oil filters be 'saved' by a pan?
Probably.

But the belly pan fans seem to think that having guarantees no failure and not having one guarantees failures.
The data to support that just isn't there.

And pics of a damaged one doesn't mean that without it there would have been a failure.
If they did, the number of reports of debris/road damage to 'unpanned' ones would be far higher than it is.
And we would be after Honda to fix it and reduce the carnage.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
But the belly pan fans seem to think that having guarantees no failure and not having one guarantees failures.
Not one person thinks that. Not a single one. Nope. 😐

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Of the 5 engine cases that I've replaced, 3 had belly pans. From what I've seen, when a belly is about to be stabbed, the pan begins to envelop around the object assuring the puncture ... cha ching, cha ching, cha ching !!!

From a businessman's perspective, please, please, please use a belly pan.
Agree Greg, Business folks love selling their products. Sometimes they will even promote an "up sale" approach....lol

21 - 40 of 64 Posts