GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read pros & cons about it. It had better "kick butt" for an extra $1500! Are there any quirks with it? Is it difficult to read in daylight or direct sun light? Is it reliable? Is the screen always on? Why do few Wing owners rave about it? Sorry in advance for these rookie questions, I just hate to spend that kind of $ if the system isn't "all that".

·
Registered
135 Posts
It works about as well as any factory nav system in any new car these days. It has way less featues than some of the most basic hand held units however. It's find for getting me from point a to point b, but if I want to plan out a trip from point a to point b using a specific route with 15 stops along the say on my computer and then upload it to the unit, forget it. If I want the unit to track my route for me and then download that track to my mapping program for later review, forget it.

Other than that, it's adequate.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
First time user of any GPS, so I may not agree with everyone.

Very readable, sunlight or not. No quirks that I know of.

Does all the essential functions of any.

Drawbacks from aftermarket include:

Not being able to program routes from PC.
Having to program routes on bike while it is stopped.
No being able to even turn it on or off while underway.
No speed or altitude readouts.

I enjoy mine, now that I know how to use it.

I get to see a lot of new scenery by telling it to take me by the shortest route. Kind of interesting to find waterways on the map where you never knew they existed.

You set the destination and then add vias (waypoints) to direct the route away from cities. I believe you can add 10 of them.

You can turn her voice on and off while underway.

If you miss a turn, she will reroute you while underway.

The whole thing is not perfect but will add another dimension to your enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Since you seem to be on the fence, let me try to help.

Now mind you, I've Never had any other GPS before, so this is all new to me. I don't really see any quirks with it, except while rolling, you can only do a couple limited things. The screen is easily visible, and has 4 different colors to choose from with the touch of a button. Also, the screen has a night time, or twilight function, that makes it easier to view at night. This comes on automatically. Makes me wonder if any of these guys even ride at night, as I've never heard anyone speak of that option, but I really like it.

The heated grips and seat are thermostatically controlled, so the colder it is out, the toastier they get. Have ridden it in 11 degrees outside, with no heated clothing, even though my wife thinks I'm a Moron for doing so.

Most importantly, as I advised you in your earlier post, I think you would be a Fool to go for the GPS, and not go with the ABS. The dealer you're buying from has 07 ABS bikes on eBay for under 20K. The next few weeks are Prime buying time on motorcycles, and Honda has some very Good financing rates in effect til the end of the month on new Goldwings.

Happy if I helped.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I agree with what's been said so far. I love the NAV. It's not a full featured GPS - I knew that beforehand. Routing is great - I've been impressed how accurate it is. If you are tall enough there are times when the sun can effect seeing the screen - I have to shrink down an inch or so (I'm 6'2") but 95% of the time it's great. And that big screen, being integrated, is used for all the other functions as well - way nicer than that little LCD. I don't have any regrets getting it at all. I changed my mind at the last minute to get the ABS too - I think I'd have regretted it if I didn't spring for the extra $900. I was already in so deep that $900 was nothing anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Works well for me. I'm spoiled now.

I wish though that the map would show freeway/interstate rest areas. ...that and DQ's... hahaha

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember how fondly the local chapter of the GWRR would look forward to the ice cream runs in the summer. So umm, where's your license plate in that pic?

·
Registered
364 Posts
My Goldwing was still new and I hadn't received the plate yet.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
scootermannn said:
Works well for me. I'm spoiled now.

I wish though that the map would show freeway/interstate rest areas. ...that and DQ's... hahaha

I think it does show all that. It shows the nearest exits and I believe rest areas and services. If you do a search for restuarants it shows McDonalds and Donut shops, why not DQs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My experience

I have on 07 with airbag. I like the integral GPS for what it is. I would like to have the ability to take the memory card out to work with trip planning and downloading points of interest to the PC. That said, there is nothing to prevent you from running a second GPS with all of the bells and whistles.

If everything was unbundled, I would have purchased only the airbag and ABS without the Nav. Maybe MH will read all of the posts and improve the Nav capabilities in the future. Oh yea, and while she's at it, make the CB price more reasonable, say less than $150. Hey! I can dream can't I :duck:

Cheers,
Chris

G

·
I think the gps is good and I would love to see a few upgrades to the firmware such as the detail being increased so that we can see towns at a given scale. I'm sure we will see this on the upgrade. I can plan a trip on the gps because of its size in less time than removing a card taking it inside to do on a computor then retutning the card to the bike. You get good at this with practice especially with the large screen.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Really helped me find some new roads to take, you know the ones you go by, wondering were they go, if they dead end or what. Now I can see were they let out and can go down them without having to turn around when they dead end
Hazle

·
Registered
416 Posts
The only thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't show the names of towns. I wanted the ABS. I never had a GPS before and although I like the one I have, I would probably never buy one. I can read a map. :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
We used the navi system alot when we travel in areas we do not know....As you know there are many opinions on this board I / we feel that the 1500 is worth it...But hey each has to look into there own pocket book and see what they can afford vrs what they want.....We had to do it ourselfs....Did not get the CB or the CD since in our opinion it was not worth it at the time to dig into our pockets and spend the extra...

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,103 Posts
Some people love it and some hate it. But I think we all would have to agree that the Honda GPS is without a doubt the best looking GPS you can buy. :lol:

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Roadie said:
But I think we all would have to agree that the Honda GPS is without a doubt the best looking GPS you can buy. :lol:
I'm glad it looks good! That's all I know how to do with mine.... I just have to look at it. :banghead:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
heres my vote

its worthless

i mounted a ram ball and holder for my nuvi 350 and use that

at least it functions, has a touch screen, and it can be viewed more than 10% of the time

the factory one is pretty nice to see at night

but in the daylight, forget it

and the buttons are quite difficuot to use, when compared to a touch screen
l

·
Registered
547 Posts
The OEM Nav system appears to be very user friendly, and adequate for those that are new to the systems and therefore aren't very demanding. It's definitely better than no Nav system at all.
That said, there are some features of my Garmin 2610 that I've become accustomed to, and couldn't give up without kicking and screaming: the ability to operate the unit while in motion, the ability to find fuel stops while zooming down the freeway, the ability to chart multiple routes on the PC and download them into the GPS where they are held in memory until I want them, true speed, true altitude, true trip meter with avg speed, etc.
If you don't need those things, the OEM unit might be just fine for you.
Has anyone determined if the OEM unit can have the maps updated? I've heard nothing but rumors. My Garmin can have the latest maps updated very easily. If the OEM unit can't, then it will become obsolete very quickly.
I don't know how much memory the OEM unit has, but by adding a 2GB memory card, I've got every road in North America downloaded.
It boils down to what you plan on using the GPS for.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts