GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered just how windy does it have to be before a parked GW blows over? Uncovered, level ground, high side, low side... :shrug:

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Don't know for sure how hard it has to blow.

We were in Kansas several years ago and the wind was gusting to 45 mph. Bad enough, that we stopped riding and got a Motel.

The bikes sat outside all night, and the next day, because there were Tornadoes all around the area.

Three Bikes, with 1/2 covers, on the Side Stands, and fortunately none blew over.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have had mine parked at work & had gusts up to about 50 mph and it didn't blow over. I try to park facing into the direction of prevailing winds and use the side stand.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thank you, good info. The crutch is now selling for $40, still cheap insurance in my opinion.
A guy I know saw mine and went to the hardware store and made his own for about $10. He cut out a section of pipe for the yoke and welded it to the long bolt. He then dipped the yoke section in some rubber tool dip stuff a couple of times. His looked as good and performs as well as mine.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I was at work one day a little over a year ago and we got straight line wind of 91 mph. That was from a calibrated wind instrument. Wing stayed right side up. I was lucky the wind was blowing against the side stand I don't recommend trying it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The gust has to exceed 62.3 MPH from the south southeast with the motorcycle heading on a bearing of 251 degrees. At night only.

I know it's a bad thing when your bike goes over but I couldn't resist. I think there are too many uncontrolled and unmeasurable variables to be precise.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Several of us were in the UP of Michagan last month and when returning from White Fish Point there was gail force winds! I mean I didn't have to lean in the curves!
:nojoke:

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
63 mph will lift 900 lbs up to 4 inches

·
Registered
228 Posts

65 + MPH South Dakota July 2008. Rain, Hail Wind. And it did have a half cover on.

CTWing (Scott Warner)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts