GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
5,173 Posts
Today we are enjoying our usual South Texas wind speeds of 30 mph with gusts above that. I know that each rider is different, but would like to hear at what wind speed you consider staying off the bike.
I just got home from a pretty windy ride (southwest of Houston). I'd say 20-25 here today. I've ridden in worse.

I'm not sure how to answer your question though. I've ridden in wind that was a little bothersome, but not enough to keep me sitting on the porch. I'm guessing that 35 with gusts above that might keep me home, but if I were on a trip I'm not sure that any wind would cause me to pull over. I might change my mind if I got in a 40mph + wind. Just don't know till I experience it.

· Banned
716 Posts
Wind

2007 June we left Denver on a new '07 Wing heading for Ohio and home. Our rear diff went out on our '03 so we opted to buy a new bike rather than wait on repairs. When we got to the plains it was a 45mph cross wind and when we hit Kansas it was a 68mph crosswind. It took me 3 miles to get back in the right lane after passing a truck. After 400 miles we got a motel in Kansas. I could not drive anymore. We were also pulling a trailor. At 0400 I got up to pee and looked outside--no wind. Told the wife and we were on the road at 85mph heading east in less than 20 minutes. My SO can get dressed fast with an incentive. She also was tired of getting beat up by the wind. I did not feel safe but we had to get home.:eek:4:

· Registered
792 Posts
I've rode in winds that I was leaning right to turn left, that's one thing that I don't look foreward to, but when your in the middle of no where, you just keep going. Oh by the way I did get 58 MPG that day.

· Registered
1,305 Posts
gusts bite!

13 Knots... oh wait, thats to jump out of a plane... I have ridden in some nasty crosswinds. I think gusty crosswind is the worst. i can deal with steady 25 MPH winds no worries.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Linda and I were on our Wings last Mother's day out in souteastern Iowa. We had gusts up to 50 mph and got knocked all over the place. The bikes did well though we did not enjoy it. You would be fine for a short distance then a break in the trees and you would be leaned over again just to go straight. Sure wears you out after a while. We did 350 miles that day.:eek:4:

I think these bikes will stand a lot more than we can take!

· Registered
72 Posts
I Oklahoma you ignore with the wind or don't ride. Why Chicago is the windy city I'll never know. I've been both places and OK has constant high winds.

· Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm curious how you guys know how fast a crosswind is. How do I tell a "68" mile an hour crosswind from a "50" mile an hour crosswind? Are you guys sure it wasn't a 67 mile an hour or a 49 mile an hour crosswind. Inquiring minds want to know.

· Registered
244 Posts
In Okla spring time is always windy! We rode 350 miles today with sustained winds of about 25 and gusts in the 30's. Anything higher than that and it just ain't no fun. And that's what we ride for (that and my mental theropy LOL).
We have ridden in winds that blew over 18 wheelers in front of us but that was out of necessity since we were on the road and needed to get home.
So probably 30 mph is about the limit if we are going for a fun flower sniffin' day.

· Banned
716 Posts
I'm curious how you guys know how fast a crosswind is. How do I tell a "68" mile an hour crosswind from a "50" mile an hour crosswind? Are you guys sure it wasn't a 67 mile an hour or a 49 mile an hour crosswind. Inquiring minds want to know.
Smitty,

I was listening to the weather channel on the Wing's radio and that is what they said it was. We were out in front of a east bound storm front and the wind was awful. Like was said, if it was a steady wind it would not have been so bad but it was not constant and we bobbed the whole time. Made our necks hurt and we did not have our Baker wings on our new bike.:-(

· Love The DCT
13,809 Posts
They must have looked at the Weather Channel. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

· Registered
4,340 Posts
Gusts to 35 are OK. Above that it get's annoying and we take one of our cruiser bikes out. Wind doesn't seem to bother them as much.

We were East-bound on the I-90 from Buffalo to Gillette a couple years ago. Blue sky, clear day in August. Two tractor-trailers blown over. They said 55+ gusting crosswinds. Not very much fun. Wouldn't do that again (on purpose).

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I let my gut feeling about what's happening with the bike when in strong winds and gusty conditions guide me about what to do. For one thing, I will probably slow down some if traveling above 60 - 70 mph. I usually do not know what the wind speed is until after I have completed a ride, unless I have an opportunity to see/hear a weather report that might give the expected levels.

Todd

· Registered
226 Posts
Currently we have wind reported at 25 gusting to 51.

Would not try to ride in that.

Have ridden for about an hour in cross winds that were 25 gusting to 40 and would not do that again if I didn't have to. Was not fun, so why ride?

· Registered
9,388 Posts
It would have to be windy enough where I couldn't keep it on the road and/or wasn't enjoying the ride, which is probably the same thing.;)

· Registered
466 Posts
Today we are enjoying our usual South Texas wind speeds of 30 mph with gusts above that. I know that each rider is different, but would like to hear at what wind speed you consider staying off the bike.
For me, it depends on the direction and whether there are significant gusts. It is certainly more stressful.

On the nose, I lose gas mileage, it's a bit windier, but not a problem.

On the tail, I get great gas mileage and no problem.

The biggest concern I have is when the wind is from the side or has significant gusts. I stay to the side closest to the wind so any strong gusts that may force me out of my riding position don't force me into the other lane or breakdown lane.

I have no problems with winds in the 20-25mph range but once the gusts exceed 40mph, I'm hiding under a bridge and waiting for the weather to moderate. If rain is involved then I drop the wind speed numbers by 10.

· Registered
6,597 Posts
It would have to be windy enough where I couldn't keep it on the road and/or wasn't enjoying the ride, which is probably the same thing.;)
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

I am one of those crazy people. I love wind, which is a big reason why I am on a bike to begin with.

The wind is fun for me. 70 mph with a lean agle that's almost dragging pegs while going straight... oh yeah baby!!! LOVE IT

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.