GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving Tucson, AZ on Monday, May 12th and need to be in Kansas City, MO by Saturday, May 17th. Any suggestions on route or places to see. I have already seen the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and Hoover Damn. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Don't bother with Texas. It all looks the same and not in a good way. Unless you like ugly followed by strip malls and sub divisions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Carlsbad Caverns and Roswell aliens aren't far from each other in New Mexico :cool:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Here is a scenic route for you. Trying to keep you on two lanes as much as possible until you hit the plains.

Tuscon, AZ -> Safford -> Three Way -> Springerville -> Pinetop -> Chinle -> Cortez, CO -> Dolores -> Placerville -> Montrose -> Sapinero -> Hotchkiss -> Carbondale -> Glenwood Springs -> Minturn -> Buena Vista -> Salida -> Westcliff -> Walsenburg -> La Junta -> Dodge City, KS -> Newton -> Emporia -> Kansas City.

About 1850 miles or 370 miles per day. Much of the Tucson to Walsenburg is two lane twisty / sweeper territory. Have a great ride. Check the weather each day and check cotrip.org for road conditions in Colorado. We've had some great May rides in CO, but I've also seen a foot of snow in May. That said, the snow will usually melt in 24 hours or less that time of year.

We did some of this recently from Tucson to Denver. I can recommend the Best Westerns in Pinetop, Chinle, Cortez, Walsenburg. Red Arrow in Montrose, Bent's Fort Inn in Las Anamas, CO. You are on your own in Kansas.

Lots to see and do along the route. Keep in mind that the twisty roads will take much longer than the super slab. You can always jump up to I-70 and make time on the last day.

map.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts