GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story:
While on a trip in September out to Montana (from Virginia) I needed new tires. I had them replaced at a Honda dealer. These were the first time the tires were replaced since new.

Over the past few days every time I ride the TPMS light (far left one that means there is a problem with the TPMS system - Not low air pressure) would come on a stay on. I brought it in to my local Honda dealer to have them look at it. The mechanic is a wing rider and has a large 'fan base', I trust what he says. He tells me the rear sensor looks like it was crushed (I haven't seen it myself yet) while the tires when removed/installed.

So now is the dilemma; he says Honda won't cover it under warranty since the unit is not defective but was damaged by an installer, which is completely understandable. Today my mechanic/dealer has my documentation showing who did the install and is going to see if Honda will do something to make it right (make the other dealer pay to fix the issue).

I intend to wait and see what happens with my mechanic/dealer working with Honda. If they are not successful I intend to contact the dealer in Montana to see if they will make things right. If that doesn't work I am not sure what I could do (other than drop the issue and pay out of my pocket to fix it).

I'm not advertising the offending dealer at this time as I don't want to give them 'bad press' in case they do what I think is the right thing.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I think you are on the right track to hopefully solve the problem. Why the delay in addressing the issue? Did the problem just surface? I think the time lag may be your worst issue, it makes it easier for a denial.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Everything worked until just a few days ago? Kinda looks like the problem only developed very recently.

It is always best to see things yourself, and to never trust the word of any person at any dealership.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mechanical things like the TPMS sensor, if crushed or damaged, show up immediately, not 3-4 months later. You would have known this a soon as you left the dealer in Montana. Just tape over the TPMS display, knowing that your pressures are okay or buy a new sensor and have it installed now if it bothers you or later when you need to replace the tire again. Sam:)

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Mechanical things like the TPMS sensor, if crushed or damaged, show up immediately, not 3-4 months later. You would have known this a soon as you left the dealer in Montana. Just tape over the TPMS display, knowing that your pressures are okay or buy a new sensor and have it installed now if it bothers you or later when you need to replace the tire again. Sam:)
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the time I had the tire changed (Sept) until a few days ago I did not have this as a consistent problem, but it would happen every now and then. No one did anything to my bike between then and the problem happening every time I ride it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It is possible that the sensor still worked but damaged. I would have the dealer call the other dealer in Montana and tell him what he found. See if the dealer in Montana will take care of it. If not just right off the dealer as lesson learned. I have worked in a new dealership for many years and thats how we would handle it. No body is perfect we all make mistakes. Lets see how they handle there's

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Don't expect miracles from Honda. They will likely call the dealership, but if the dealership won't answer the calls, or tells Honda to pound sand then that's what Honda will tell you. Honda does not do a very good job at standing behind the work their dealerships do, nor do they seem to be willing to go to the mat for you. These are my experiences. I would have expected the problem to show up immediately after the tire change. It's possible, however, that it was damaged, but still functioning, and finally gave up the ghost. It's also possible the dealership that notified you of the problem damaged it when trying to inspect it, and figured they didn't want to pay to have it replaced so turned it into a blame game. That would mean that the TPMS was defective, but they damaged it, and know Honda won't approve the repair because they damaged it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I put on new tires before I go on vacation, I have my dealer install them, I trust him sometimes I put tires on before they are needed but would much rather so that than have to have new ones put on while on vacation. Last summer dealer said tires would run 1000-1500 miles more but I was leaving for a 2200-2500 miles trip I had them put on at my local dealer.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I put on new tires before I go on vacation, I have my dealer install them, I trust him sometimes I put tires on before they are needed but would much rather so that than have to have new ones put on while on vacation. Last summer dealer said tires would run 1000-1500 miles more but I was leaving for a 2200-2500 miles trip I had them put on at my local dealer.
Another reason to have a spare rear wheel. I track mileage, and the newest tire stays in the garage and the other is my "around town" tire until it is time to replace the town tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts