GL1800Riders Forums banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Wing has been garaged for some time. Family always comes first. Hopefully, I'm about to start making some miles again.

Regarding my login name, a long time ago I heard someone say "Racing is life." I'm no daredevil, but the thought resonated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I noticed some interesting user names on the forum. I was wondering if there are any good stories as to how folks came up with them.
I use the name centerpunch because I was a competitive archer and a carpenter at the time I joined the forum.
When I was 45 and started to snowboard my board was a Ride and it was 169 cm. So ride0169 is how I came up with it and it has stuck with other sites also

·
Registered
121 Posts
My username, My initials. VERY BORING.
To ride0169, I also started snowboarding at 45 on a Ride Timeless 1:58. I am still riding the same board at 65. Although, I must admit I spend more time back on skis lately. My skiing friends are a PITA. So I had to regress.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My granddaughter called me "Papa" while I was raising her from 1996 to 2009. She was a co-rider to daycare at 3 years old and made a 1000 mile trip on my old 1985 Goldwing Aspencade with adolescent foot plates. So, since I was an early member of the board, Papa Gene was available. Now retired, I am TNGoldwingPapa, but I didn't change my name on here...only for my email. Now 69 years old and have 6 great-grandchildren and another on the way. I'm on my 2nd GL1800, but won't be popping for another one. A new one doesn't fit in my budget nowadays. But I'm still riding!

·
Registered
482 Posts
My username is "Tuck". A popular, much used single word phrase comes to mind when things don't go your way. Also what you do to your dress shirts, etc., etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed some interesting user names on the forum. I was wondering if there are any good stories as to how folks came up with them.
I use the name centerpunch because I was a competitive archer and a carpenter at the time I joined the forum.
Mine goes back to 1965, I had just Graduated from High School( 17 years young) and had been running wild for quite a while, in and out of trouble with the law , got caught running liquor to a nip joint. The judge told me " Young Man you have been before me many times, fighting, gambling,running liquor, breaking curfew, and I have done everything I could to help you but now you have graduated from school and you have a choice to make, You can go to Jail or You can go to the back of the Court and talk to the Recruiters at the table, I have done all I can do to straighten you out but you have just Gone Bad, I thought for a moment and chose the Recruiters and the Marine Recruiter stood up and said " Come here, Gone Bad and the name has stuck all these years. Gonbad !

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Mine goes back to 1965, I had just Graduated from High School( 17 years young) and had been running wild for quite a while, in and out of trouble with the law , got caught running liquor to a nip joint. The judge told me " Young Man you have been before me many times, fighting, gambling,running liquor, breaking curfew, and I have done everything I could to help you but now you have graduated from school and you have a choice to make, You can go to Jail or You can go to the back of the Court and talk to the Recruiters at the table, I have done all I can do to straighten you out but you have just Gone Bad, I thought for a moment and chose the Recruiters and the Marine Recruiter stood up and said " Come here, Gone Bad and the name has stuck all these years. Gonbad !
Semper Fi, Mac.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
My granddaughter called me "Papa" while I was raising her from 1996 to 2009. She was a co-rider to daycare at 3 years old and made a 1000 mile trip on my old 1985 Goldwing Aspencade with adolescent foot plates. So, since I was an early member of the board, Papa Gene was available. Now retired, I am TNGoldwingPapa, but I didn't change my name on here...only for my email. Now 69 years old and have 6 great-grandchildren and another on the way. I'm on my 2nd GL1800, but won't be popping for another one. A new one doesn't fit in my budget nowadays. But I'm still riding!
Great story, I'm Papa Don to my 3 year old grand daughter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the early to mid 60’s I watched a MR Wizard TV Show with Don Herbert as host. We explained the inner workings of numerous machines to which I was fascinated and loved. Soon I started repairing radios, bicycles, lawn mowers, go carts, scooters and motorcycles, whatever people would bring by the barn. And I became MR Wizzard in the neighborhood, I carried that handle into CB Radios (KQT0599) and later to the military as a helicopter repairer. There are only two things I can’t fix 1.) An item that is not broken, 2.) Stupid.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
...... There are only two things I can’t fix 1.) An item that is not broken, 2.) Stupid.
Trying to fix something not broke is generally called "breaking it". And "fixing Stupid" requires implementing "education" long before "stupid" happens....... So, actually fixing "stupid" requires a time machine. I can fix many things myself, but people have tended to call me "Mr. Fix-It". But I can't fix those two things either.....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
IIRC, you can fix ignorance with education, but stupid is permanent and it leaves a mark.

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
I posted this answer back in 2012...recycled electrons!!

I've been on-line in one form or another for well over 30 years.

Back in the day, memory was tight, so handles, screen names, user logins, whatever you want to call them were short & sweet and really needed to be unique.

In addition, I wanted it gender neutral, as some of the first personal usage of the Internet (before it really was the Internet), the login was shared with my wife. Recall that back in the day, each login used to cost extra $$$, depending on which systems you used.

Finally, my first & last name is the exact same as a very well known computer scientist, Turing Award winner, and creator of major operating systems. There was no way I wanted to be confused with computer royalty such as him.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There are worse people to be confused with, and worse names in that OS space... Your name could be Linus...

·
Registered
141 Posts
First network ID on an old Novell network. First initial of first name, middle initial, first five letters of last name.

Obviously, I’ve been doing this way too long 🤠

jdg

141 - 160 of 162 Posts