GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a new to me 2006 GL1800.

Been riding a 2006 Yamaha FJR for the last 12 years. Hence the forum name so I don;t have to learn a new one. I ride mostly 2up with my wife and tow a bushtec trailer. We camp most of the time when traveling. Most recent long trip was 2018 to Alaska and back, 7500 miles round trip in 18 days. Camped all but 1 night. Made it up to the arctic circle monument, went across the top of the world hwy and basically traveled all over Alaska.

I host an annual tech day for the FJR riders, been going for 11 years now. There is a very strong group of FJR forum members who live in the PNW and help assist other riders to learn their bikes. Several of the FJR folks also have Wings. We assist/teach those who want to learn to maintain there bikes but want to make sure someone can help and/or guide them if they get stuck. Work from minor maintenance up to and including valve checks/adjustments.

As I explore I'll look for similar opportunities to learn from the folks here about the GL.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Awesome picture, good job. Congrats on the new to you Wing, and welcome from SE Idaho!!! Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

Reactions: AuburnFJR

·
Registered
784 Posts
Welcome AuburnFJR! I just lost my Gen I FJR after having to put her down in an accident. Healed up now and looking to get back on the Wing.
Couple of interesting Meetup riding groups around Seattle and South Sound too. Should connect as I'm also in the Seattle area working in Tacoma for 5 years.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome aboard! lot of good information here! Love the picture.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome AburnFJR! Should connect as I'm also in the Seattle area working in Tacoma for 5 years.
Definitely, I'll be setting up the next FJR tech meet probably for mid June. I have to confirm with others that help put it on. I use the same forum name on FJRForum and FJRiders

·
Registered
13 Posts
A familiar face! I was LowAndSilent on the FJRForum as well. Really need to make it back down for one of those tech days that you host, since they were always a hoot and great learning experience.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A familiar face! I was LowAndSilent on the FJRForum as well. Really need to make it back down for one of those tech days that you host, since they were always a hoot and great learning experience.
I thought I recognized the forum handle. Might be one this Fall, if the governor ever opens up things again. Had to cancel the June one for this year.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Definitely, I'll be setting up the next FJR tech meet probably for mid June. I have to confirm with others that help put it on. I use the same forum name on FJRForum and FJRiders
I'm in for a tech meet in June. I don't see anything posted yet on the FJR forums. I'll keep checking

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in for a tech meet in June. I don't see anything posted yet on the FJR forums. I'll keep checking
The June 13th tech meet got cancelled due to the Covid stuff the governor is still forcing here. Probably will be this Fall sometime towards the end of September so the Eastern WA folks can get over the mountain still.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nothing needed at the moment. Just thinking a tech day would be a nice break as all the events I usually attend were cancelled this year.

I'll keep an eye out for the spring event.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Welcome from LA. Lot's of present and former FJR riders here (including me). Though they have different rider profiles, the FJR and the Goldwing are in a class by themselves as the two premier production motorcycles for sale in the US.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts