GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to thinking about my annual fall ride and was wondering how this years weather is setting up the fall colors in the Ozarks. Last year was less spectacular as the years before. Still enjoyed my ride. :thumbup:

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

- Tom

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a repeat of last year. Only found a couple patches of color, rest was brown. :cry:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Sounds like a repeat of last year. Only found a couple patches of color, rest was brown. :cry:
That is the way over here :? - but green and brown are colors - so I have been told!:-(

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
it's been a bad summer, with weather close to Texas drought conditions. Farmers have been feeding animals hay for months now. Trees have been exceptionally stressed so there is "some color" ... mostly yellow and brown. Rather doubt that fall foliage will be "spectacular" this year ... but the roads and scenery will still be spectacular. As they say in the quiz shows ... "Come on down"

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
The color isnt going to be much, the last 2 years it was about Nov 7-15 for as good as it was going to get.

The good part is the nice riding weather is here.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have to agree, last few rides I took that way was lat Oct, early Nov. Weather was spectacular and one trip, so was the color. As always, the roads were the best part. :thumbup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I noticed that the area between Russellville and Jasper got more rain than most folks. 16 between Pelsor and Witts Spring looked pretty green. 123 southwest of Pelsor looked green too.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
I noticed that the area between Russellville and Jasper got more rain than most folks. 16 between Pelsor and Witts Spring looked pretty green. 123 southwest of Pelsor looked green too.
Hope you are right ... they did get more rain than we did in the river valley.

I took highway 352 from Clarksville yesterday going to Durham, Arkansas and I could see a few dead trees on the south side of the mountains. But as I got further North, I did not see any more of that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
There's a lot of brown south and west of Clarksville. They got more rain up in the mountains where folks will want to ride. The colors should be OK there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Rode up to Mt Magazine yesterday and there were a few colors showing, not quite as brown as in the river valley.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Was up for BBB and did a bit of riding. There is some color north of Eureka Springs and East of the pig trail. Most of the trees are green but there is some red starting to show (and some brown).

It certainly will not be as in years past.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Visited there over the weekend. Mammoth Springs, Mountain Home, Conway, Clarksville, Jasper, Harrison, etc. and mostly all still green.

I DID notice some brand new roadsigns, though.

Not a single bullet hole !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fall colors

I was on Mt. Magazine today...little color yet...some hickory was turning yellow/gold and others brown...the sweet gum are looking good. wither way, a ride up Mt. Mag is worth it.
HINT: at the south over look (the big one) take the short hike along the ridge beside it....it is great!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi Tom,

I saw some color today in Central AR. Went up to Mt. View 2 weeks ago and ran the devils backbone (hwy 9) and Push Mountain (SR-341). Those places were still green. Oh, I got rained on too!

I can relate, kids are in N-C Texas, why you might want too see some color. Mostly the drought was S-C TX and North into KS. Dry weather also got W AR, figure to the AR river valley as Monk and others say.

Good riding to ya!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lastest Update

Getting ready to head to Mid-Atlantic, thought I would pass through AR to see some autumn colors. Talimena Highway? Mena-Russellville? 23? 7? Any good color out there?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since I am taking two motorcycles on my winter off-road trip, looks like I need to come up with a little extra scratch for motorcycle amenities. Guess I'll scrub this years trip and save the AR trip fund for that.

Sure am going to mis riding those beautiful roads in the crisp air this year. :frown:

Maybe things will look a lot brighter for next year. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts