GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had it off before, but now i cant seem to get the wire plug unhooked to remove the display and cover.

am i missing the combination somehow. the service manual is of no help.

help

loren

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Loren,

The small, 4-pin connector for the display panel has the lock release at the front of it, with the release tab accessible from the RH side. Use a small screwdriver and pry the release tab FORWARD and the connector should release.

This is not the same "squeeze the tab toward the body of the connector" motion that most of the other connectors use.

Some of us have filed the locking tab on the plug (panel end) down to make this removal just a little bit easier.

I hope this helps,

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The tab is facing the front of the bike, also next to the plug is the bottom of the three switches. These have simple push in plastic rain/dust caps. Pulled my cover off four times, the 4 time I just could not get the plug IN. After getting it in, I noticed this black square plastic piece sitting below. Took awhile to figure it out, it was one of those switch caps. Still do not know how it got knocked off. But now You will be aware of them.

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
many others in the past had mentioned fileing the tab off but I was hesitant to do it. Eventually filed the tab off and love it,no more messing around frustrated by some useless little plastic tab. However if Honda had just left about 2-3 more inches of slack in the wire we wouldn't even have this discusion.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
If there was any chance of the connection coming loose, I wouldn't have done it either.

With one side of the connector bolted to the bike and the other attached to the gauge panel, there's no real reason it should ever come loose.

Unless, of course, you take it trail riding :wink:

And Dawg, I told you I could make you up a special "Yellow for driving, Blue for show" set...

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
honda leaving an extra inch or two of slack, get real.

just try and plug the right side pocket power plug some time, the one that belongs to the heated grips. now theres a job for a contortionist. even with the right mirror taken off, it still wasnt very easy.

loren

1 - 7 of 7 Posts