GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my HRCA membership package today for my new '06 purchase. Being a first time "winger" I am confused. The HRCA membership benefits manual clearly states that if I have a sidecar or trailer attached to the motorcycle that the benefits transfer to them. It states: "Of course, the benefits only apply when those components are attached to your motorcycle."

Now, the owners manual says (page 4): "Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle. This motorcycle was not designed for these attachments, and their use can seriously impair your motorcycle's handling."

:?:
So if I pull a trailer, blow the transmission I get a free tow to the nearest Honda dealer who promptly voids the warranty because I pulled the trailer. Sweeeeeet!!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I don't think you will find towing a trailer or adding a side car will specifically "void" the warranty. Now if you try to get something repaired under warranty that was caused by doing either of these then its going to be out of your pocket. The statement from your manual is primarily to prevent litigation.

Also remember HRCA and Honda Manufacturing are two different entities.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to be confrontational, only trying to understand...

With that wording in the owner's manual couldn't a dealer or Honda argue that any driveline problem that occurs was "caused" by pulling a trailer and therefore deny a warranty claim?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Bob Perkins55 said:
Yes they will deny Warrenty Service. One Dealer here in town will not let bikes in his shop at all if they have a trailer Hitch
YOU NEED TO FIND YOU ANOTHER DEALER

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have pulled trailers(cargo) with my goldwings and never had a problem with a warranty issue concerning trailers. Of course I never had any problems with a tranny either.

You will find that some will take their trailer hitches off when going in for warranty work and others that don't.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Let see, now....If I decided to pull my 30 foot fifth wheel on the trunk lid mounted hitch and take out the drive line, I should expect Honda to warranty it?

I think it is reasonable to expect Honda to not want to warranty something they did not design for, and pulling an overweight trailer would be one of them. So would tacking on a side car or an oil derrick.

Someplace along the line, we all have to be willing to accept responsibility for our own actions and not believe we should be living in a world with cradle to the grave security. Its called freedom of choice, and it comes with a price.

Honda designed a motorcycle for touring, not a tractor. And HRCA offered towing for the motorcycle and whatever is attached to it. Flatten a tire on the trailer, and you get a bike tow with the trailer attached. That's what they offered. We get a choice - take theirs or take care of it ourselves.

And I have never heard of anyone having a problem with warranty work being refused because of a trailer hitch, except someones uncles friend that worked in a place that they cannot remember on the internet. I pull a trailer, ride with a Honda Service Manager and Motorcycle Technician who also pull trailers, and we don't have a problem. Do you?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Harry,

Great post, Logical, Thought provoking and clear.

Now ya got your vest on?...LOL

I agree with ya.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Dawg - I got one of those new Teflon coats........

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: HRCA Membership Info vs. Owner's Manual - I'm confused!!

kg5ie said:
I received my HRCA membership package today for my new '06 purchase. Being a first time "winger" I am confused. The HRCA membership benefits manual clearly states that if I have a sidecar or trailer attached to the motorcycle that the benefits transfer to them. It states: "Of course, the benefits only apply when those components are attached to your motorcycle."

Now, the owners manual says (page 4): "Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle. This motorcycle was not designed for these attachments, and their use can seriously impair your motorcycle's handling."

:?:
So if I pull a trailer, blow the transmission I get a free tow to the nearest Honda dealer who promptly voids the warranty because I pulled the trailer. Sweeeeeet!!
I would say you are legally correct although hoping most dealers are reasonable (big assumption) than it probably won't be a problem. The wording is pretty clear.

I guess it's up to you if YOU want to chance it.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Harry, The problem for most people is that they DONT ride with there Service Manager. I would say that you have a very good chance of getting what you want at your dealer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Quote: "Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle. This motorcycle was not designed for these attachments, and their use can seriously impair your motorcycle's handling."

I think some folks have jumped off the deep end in paranoia. The quoted owner's manual doesn't say ANYTHING (at least in the quoted part) about the warranty. Only that a trailer or sidecar can "impair your motorcycle's handling".

I believe that is legalese for "Watch yourself. If you crash pulling a trailer, don't say we didn't warn you and don't blame us."

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
The problem for most people is that they DONT ride with there Service Manager.
I think that statement is wrong. Most people do not have a problem, but its true they do not ride with their service manager. This whole thread is a case in point - there is no problem, just someone trying to create one with a lot of what if's. He has not been turned down for any warranty work, has not asked for any, - he is just howling at the moon.

Is anybody ready to accept that service managers work at dealerships, and even though there are guidelines, dealerships are run by individuals with opinions and reactions just like the rest of the human race. Ever seen a dealership in outback Slobovia that has never seen anything except an ATV, and we come whipping in with a Wing because the GPS is not showing the elevation, then we start bitching cause they didn't fix it? They could not even spell GPS, but someone jumps on the internet and starts whining about everyone from Mother Honda to the Pope. And that is just what happened here.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please excuse my post. I was not attempting to cause any hard feelings. As I said, I am new to the wing world and I just found it interesting that the two wordings were so directly opposed and I was interested in real world experiences.

I will limit my postings to mundane technical issuses so as not to offend those with more wing experience than me.

Sorry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts