GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being convinced that GWRRA roadside "rescue" is "OK", but not always "enough", I also signed up for HRCA with the hope of increasing my chances of actually getting roadside emergency services, should the need arise.

So I signs up and I pays me money.....and they assign me a "member number" by email and charge my credit card. And that is all. I have never received anything in print in terms of membership or how to make use of their emergency services. ***Can anyone advise me if they actually DO send anything out or do they just take your money***?.

Incidently, I sent an email question to GWRRA about their roadside "rescue plus" service plan and have yet to receive any sort of a response. I am unimpressed with their personal response to (member..... read---paying client) questions. Like others, I am all for fun and friendship and safety, but I would like to see more than self congraduatory web sites and equally self serving magazines for my money. How about a little service to members. And lest anyone think I do not know a good thing when I see it, I would be the very first to say the Gold Book is a treasure chest of wonderful, kind, dedicated, generious and completely "over-the-top" wingers, any of whom I would be honored to meet.

Be that as it may (as long as I am up here on my soapbox, I will add, I am relatively new to this, however, I have been out after dark), I do find it puzzeling how GWRRA seems to spend an inordinate amount of time (and member money) urging its existing membership base, to seek new members (read....REVENUE). and offer inducement (with seemingly lotto like odds), to do so. To me, it kinda sounds like a "near" network marketing shop, with all the money flowing to the "upstream" distributor (it's good to be the king). I wonder about this: someone (or some many..............) at GWRRA are making a great - deal - of - money on the proceeds from membership dues (read-sales, read-revenues) *and* advertising sales, in Wing World.

I wonder, what is the total revenue of the GWRRA organization and where DOES all the money go? Is this financial information disclosed anywhere?? Is it a secret? How much goes to management salaries? What *are* the officers of the parent organization paid in total compensation and benefits and (if any) defered compensation? Has any of this financial information about GWRRA ever been disclosed anywhere, publically?? Just askin, because I am new and curious. I dunno the answers to these questions, and these seem like completely fair and reasonable questions. I am a financial type and used to full disclosure. If HCRA is a business profit center for Honda, what would that make GWRRA.? I don't think it is a 501-c3. Might be, but I doubt it.

Now, I will get off my soapbox (P U L E E E ZZZ) and go back to my original question about HRCA. And it goes like this: does HRCA supply anything in print or the like, concerning how you can avail yourself of their roadside emergency services? Or, put another way, how DOES one avail themselves of HRCA roadside evergerncy services?? I note their web site has NO provision what-so-ever to contact them directly or send a note. Smart, very smart. These are good business models, and very profitable businesses.

·
Registered
759 Posts
you will get a reply to your membership in the mail..takes about 10-14 days...along with a membership card and stuff...lol.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
took hrca about a month to get the card and paper work to me....then they had to re-do it because they put it in my wifes nme??? so it was useless to me, the rider...but it is correct now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
FYI - GWRRA management have 6 figure salaries. That's where a lot of your dues money goes. But, I have had an occasion to use TowBusters and the number of miles they tow is much higher than what I have with my Progressive Insurance. The first truck they sent out must have come from the junkyard with two kids from the 'holler' and a PTO that didn't work so I had to call back and wait another 45 minutes for the second truck to come. This was worth the wait, new truck with a driver that knew how to load and tow a cycle.

.. Sue

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The GWRRA office staff is very good at returning emails, if you didn't get a reply it's gotten lost somewhere, they have a toll free number, give them a call.

GWRRA, P.O. Box 42450, Phoenix, Arizona 85080-2450
(623) 581-2500 • 1-800-843-9460 • Fax: (623) 581-3844

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
On the Honda Riders, you will get a plastic card with
a member number on it, and an 800 emergency phone
number. You will also get some propaganda promoting
all the good services, and a quarterly magazine.

I kept mine after the first year just because I thought
the 'Cruz Tool' give-away with a renew was a good idea,
having never used a towing service.

Well, I finally had to use the towing service, and it has
paid for renews for the next ten years. Great service,
one stop shopping, 70 miles, made me a real believer.
And they took me to a Honda dealer. That had a tire.

Can't say a thing about GWRRA, as I dropped out when I
got a Valkarie, and they told me Valks did not count. Made
me mad.

BTW, just got a towing flyer from Chevron for fifty some
bucks a year. Its good for TEN whole miles. What a deal.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Frisky - I have both the HRCA and GWRRA memberships and will continue both for as long as I have my Goldwing.

As far as the HRCA goes, you get the first year free with the purchase of a new Honda motorcycle, then you must pay for the renewal each subsequent year. That renewal to me is a no brainer, as the towing service provided is the best on the road IMO and pays for services and other preapproved per diem costs that none of the other services provide. They will also tow you much further (potentially) than the other services. Lastly with HRCA, they well reimburse you up to $75. each year for successfully completing any MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) courses, so why not have this membership???? You do get the card with your membership information soon, so don't worry, but if you have any questions OR need their roadside services you can call their 800 number - 800-847-4722 (800-847-HRCA).

The GWRRA towing to me is really a side benefit to what I consider a great group of people who I enjoy many group rides and events with throughout the year. Sure sometimes and often I ride alone, but other times I like to ride with knowledgeable and terrifically nice fellow Goldwinger owners too. The membership cost is incidental and not that big of an expense compared to all that I have gained by the membership whether or not I ever use the road side service they also provide. As far as where the membership money goes and who gets it and what salary they might make, I'm simply not going to loose sleep or worry about it as it's doesn't mean a hoot to me and isn't anything significant to even think about.

The piece of mind I get by having both cards in my wallet that can be used when and how I need them is worth the small costs.

DaleC

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
Frisky
The HRC towing and service plan is by far the best package that I have seen for motorcycles. Like any insurance it's set up to make a hefty proffit along with helping members in a emergency. Don't know how long you have been waiting but you should receive your membership pack in the mail within a month if not give them a call. The magazine will come every other month,6x per year.
Your observations about GWRRA are very simillar to mine. I believe the people at the top of GWRRA are appointed by others at the very top not elected by members. Amazing the amount of money they appear to be collecting from all the members myself included, my membership runs out in August. GWRRA has a lot of wonderfull helpfull caring members.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Roebot said:
FYI - GWRRA management have 6 figure salaries. That's where a lot of your dues money goes.

.. Sue
6 figure salaries??? Now exactly what do they do to justify getting paid those salaries? Picking where the next WingDing will be held? And I'm sure that the sponsoring city for WingDing also lines the pockets rather nicely of the GWRRA personnel who are in charge of picking the city to hold WingDing. I also heard that the bigwigs at GWRRA only work at the office part time since they all hold full time jobs elsewhere. Must be nice. When my renewal for GWRRA comes due, I'll be giving some serious thought as to whether I will renew or not.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It toook just a bit over a month for our HRC stuff to show up.

We had no idea we were members from buying the new Goldwing. No one told us at the dealer, although this dealer sales ppl suck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
HRCA Membership

Tony,

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for a dealer to fail to inform you of your free one-year membership in HRCA. You should contact the owner of the dealership and complain that the staff is not following Honda policy in this regard. It is a plus for the new bike customer and should be a part of the sale.

Gary Smith, Former Assistant Manager of HRCA (retired)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
# 1 don't count on GWRRA, HRA or GWTA to bail you out in an emergency , minor or major. I have had all three and still belong to 2 of them but have learned to allow for my own rescue via Cell Phone & Rental Truck to either get me home or someplace to wait for the Honda Dealers to open at their convience.

I found that even in my home town of Colorado Springs that M/C Towing Service is nonextant and the Dealers Will Not stay open even one extra minute for urgent help.

If you luck out with one of the above services great but be prepared to go it on your own and you will be better prepared if and when something like a Flat Tire or other occurance interupts your day.

I think the Good Sam Club may be the best option. When our 5th wheel gets here that's the way we'll go and let the others drop.

Jerry

·
Registered
227 Posts
HRCA/GWRRA

Jerry

I agree with most of what has been said but one little piece of information I want to pass along is the value of the GWRRA "Goldbook".

I have been a member of both for years and, knock on wood, and have never had to use either for emergency services. I do know that it took about a month to get my HRCA package and three weeks for GWRRA.

I have found when planning trips the "Gold-book" is worth the cost of the membership. Most Wingers, as see by the members of this board, are a great bunch of individuals and more than willing to help with information and little details that help. Many times in the planning process I have used to "Goldbook" to call other GWRRA members in different areas of the country to check on different knowledge items (hotel/motel, traffic, road construction, attractions, local meeting dates and times, etc.).

These types of calls have lead to me being invited to their home for dinner, meeting for coffee, discount tickets to special events, help with where to park, areas to stay away from (construction) and has lead to having wide range of friends across the country.

Just a couple of weeks ago we pulled into a station for a tank up and short drink/rest break. When we got ready to leave I had a dead battery. Out comes to "Goldbook" and fifteen minutes later a, now friend, shows up with a set of jumper cables, for a motorcycle, and a spare battery if all else failed. As the individual refused to take any money, that assistance alone, from a GWRRA member, paid for the annual membership.

I know of a couple of cases where wingers on the road have had real emergencies and other GWRRA members, found in the "Goldbook", have called their local dealer, filled them on the problem, requesting they stay open, showed with a trailer, dropped the sick Wing at the dealers, taken riders to their home for supper and dropped them at a good local hotel/motel. Picked them up the next morning and took them to the dealer to picked up their repaired Wing.

I have both cards in my wallet but never leave home without the "Goldbook".

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts