GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if someone's asked about this and I missed it. I just completed the most recent software/NAVI update. The update went fine. When I went to reset my settings after the update, I was not able to select the check box to enable the HSTC (Honda Selectable Torque Control). This functionality no longer appears to be an option. Have you found the same thing? Does you know why Honda made this change?

Just curious. Thanks!:serious:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
The bike has to be running to be able to check the HSTC box...I noticed the samething after I did the update while the bike wasn't running.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
It's supposed to be ON, by default, every time the bike is started.

page 120

Torque Control will limit the amount of torque applied to the rear wheel when the
system detects the rear wheel spin during acceleration.

Torque Control can be turned on or off in the multi-information display. (P31)

uTorque Control mode (on/off) cannot be changed while riding.
Stop the motorcycle first and select the Torque Control mode (on/off) in the multi-information display.

uEach time the ignition switch is turned ON, the Torque Control is automatically turned to on.

uWhen the Riding mode is changed, the Torque Control characteristic also changes according to each mode.

Which should mean that it's a waste of time changing the setting unless the bike is idling/warming up in preparation for a ride!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike has to be running to be able to check the HSTC box...I noticed the samething after I did the update while the bike wasn't running.

Thank you Frank for your quick reply. Much appreciated! :wink2:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
When you check the box you are actually turning the HSTC off...then when the bike is restarted it is automatically reactivated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you check the box you are actually turning the HSTC off...then when the bike is restarted it is automatically reactivated.

Page 31 of the manual appears to state the opposite. Either way, I'll check it out the next time I start the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
Page 31 of the manual appears to state the opposite. Either way, I'll check it out the next time I start the bike.
Its been awhile since I looked ...I guess I got it backwards, but I know you have to turn it off if you want it off becasue its on by default when you start the bike.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Manual doesn't seem clear (to me) on page 31 about what the checkmark indicates, but it's clear on page 120 that HTSC will/should be on each time the bike is started.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question but what does the HSTC do? And if it is on by default at start up what would be the reason that someone might want to turn it off?
Just curious.

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question but what does the HSTC do? And if it is on by default at start up what would be the reason that someone might want to turn it off?
Just curious.
HSTC stands for Honda Selectable Torque Control. A description can be found on page 120 of the owner's manual. Below is a description.

"Torque Control will limit the amount of torque applied to the rear wheel when the system detects the rear wheel spin during acceleration. Torque Control can be turned on or off in the multi-information display. (P31)

Torque Control mode (on/off) cannot be changed while riding. Stop the motorcycle first and select the Torque Control mode (on/off) in the multi-information display. Each time the ignition switch is turned ON, the Torque Control is automatically turned to on. When the Riding mode is changed, the Torque Control characteristic also changes according to each mode."

:doorag:

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
HSTC prevents your rear wheel from spinning, like when on loose gravel or a slick surface. Another example would be when starting out from a stoplight in the rain where car oil or antifreeze is present. I really don't see any reason to ever turn it off, but I guess if you were doing trials riding you might want it off, or if you ride your Gold Wing like a dirt bike.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
I really don't see any reason to ever turn it off, but I guess if you were doing trials riding you might want it off, or if you ride your Gold Wing like a dirt bike.
Turning off the HSTC is for when you want to do what this guy is doing at 16:58.:)

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Just curious.
When you decide it's a good idea to take the bike into the 'smoke pit' at your favorite rally, you'll want to have HSTC turned off.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
When you decide it's a good idea to take the bike into the 'smoke pit' at your favorite rally, you'll want to have HSTC turned off.
I love watching those guys that have had a few too many and are just loving burning the rear tire til the tire blows or the drivebelt breaks...the crowd goes crazy and that just drives the buzzed up guy doing the burn out to keep going...and he is loving it and seems oblivious to the 600 dollar repair bill he just created... of course there is always a vender right out back that has new tires and drivebelts and will gladly install those items while you wait....I don't know why its so fun watching morons doing such things :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I love watching those guys that have had a few too many and are just loving burning the rear tire til the tire blows or the drivebelt breaks...the crowd goes crazy and that just drives the buzzed up guy doing the burn out to keep going...and he is loving it and seems oblivious to the 600 dollar repair bill he just created... of course there is always a vender right out back that has new tires and drivebelts and will gladly install those items while you wait....I don't know why its so fun watching morons doing such things :)

I watched one of these rocket scientist once and sure enough he blew a tire. When it was all over he said "I don't care it's my brothers bike" >:)

Reactions: Kenichi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts