GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. My bike seems to make an unusually loud hum/howl sound when I lean into curves. I understand there is tire noise but this is louder than I have experienced with other bikes. I wonder if it caused by this new front end and/or front brake disc's, tires?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have not experienced any tire noise when going into curves like I did on my 2012.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dunlop tires make more noise in lean situations than Stones. I notice my Stones doing that when I get up to about 8-10,000 miles, due to wear. Dunlop’s start that much earlier in the tire’s life.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On previous bikes, including a Harley Road King and a 98 Valkyrie, I've used a belt sander on the tires when they get loud in turns. The tires on both those bikes would develop a sawtooth pattern where each tread block was higher in the front than in the back. This was most pronounced where the transition from the center of the tread toward the edges made a sort of ridge. Anyway, the belt sander really works. You're trying to restore the original profile as best you can. They're much quieter afterwards. I only used to do this once on a tire at about 2/3 of tread life, maybe 6k miles. You hold the belt sander at a 45 degree angle and let it spin the tire slowly while grinding away the high spots. Works best on the rear tire. I posted a thread on the Harley forum about it but the pics are gone after Photobucket changed policy and started charging money.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
To me the Dunlap E-4's are way to noisy when they are new. If you have other brands and have over 10,000 miles on them they will start to make noise, means you need new tires.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Lots of singing from the rear Stone at 7K. Replaced with the never-to-sing Pirelli.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The OEM Dunlaps litterly cupped worse then any tires I’ve had in 40 years. I’m very disappointed with them. Replaced them with Bridgestones; we shall see. Hopefully someone will come out with better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Stones are just starting to do it now at 5500 miles. I had trouble with it on my 09 and I added Centramatic balancers and never had a problem after that. I may get a set for the 18 when I change tires.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The humming is the driver, the howling is the pinion passenger.:grin2:

You have a "pinion passenger"???
I know that the pinion is the large gear in the final drive unit....so you have a "passenger" on the pinion?
>:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got rid of the howling by getting rid of the Dunflops.
**** those things were noisy!
I now run a Michelin Commander II on the front
and a (gasp!) car tire on the rear!

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
You have a "pinion passenger"???
I know that the pinion is the large gear in the final drive unit....so you have a "passenger" on the pinion?
>:)>:)>:)
Yes ..Kind of, a few inches above it.LOL
Darn auto correct..Pillion.:smile2:

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I got rid of the howling by getting rid of the Dunflops.
**** those things were noisy!
I now run a Michelin Commander II on the front
and a (gasp!) car tire on the rear!

Shhhhh. Im going dark, when the 'stones wear out.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Dunlop's have always been Howlers with me. They start howling with just a thousand miles or so on them. I know it is time to replace the rear when the howling gets quieter when leaned in a turn. I would love to have ME888's front and rear (of the correct sizes). Actually, I would really rather have discontinued ME880's on the front; I do not like the squared profile that occurs on the front tire as the duel compound tire wears. But I will go with that squared profile before getting a straight line groove down the center of the tire. That "square" is only at the last 1/3 of use, not the entire tire life. I will most likely end up with ME888 on the front and a Stone on the rear (until Metzeler joins the party for rear tires).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts