GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
18,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 with 25,000 miles and after market helmets and cords.

Anyone had a problem with humming in both headsets when using the intercom? Helmates and cords have not been swaped out, but it started at the same time in both back in 2004. It increases with engine speed.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
2002 with 25,000 miles and after market helmets and cords.

Anyone had a problem with humming in both headsets when using the intercom? Helmates and cords have not been swaped out, but it started at the same time in both back in 2004. It increases with engine speed.
Greg, try a ground loop insalator from radio shack or one of vendors here. Instalation is easy and it cuts out the humming. It is a cheap first step to correct this problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If the humming is ocurring only when using the I-COM, I would try swapping out the cord with one that is known to be good first. If that doesn't help, I believe that I would check under the left storage box and see if rerouting or shielding the headset wiring away from other power wired sources would help. Check under seat for the same issues with the passenger headset wiring.

I agree with finleypj about the Ground loop isolater if the noise is heard when the Aux curcuit is being used.

Recently, after adding several items (MicSplitter to helmet, extended aux cord to reach handlebars) to enable me to use my cellphone via Bluetooth thru the Garmin GPS, I noticed some additional humming that I dont think was there before. It ocurred mainly when I was trying to use an IPOD thru a Y splitter to the aux circuit. I installed a ground loop isolater in the aux circuit and that helped out, but still have some humming that is noticeable when volume is elevated. I have been meaning to go back under there and reroute my cables, but time hasn't allowed it.

·
Vendor
18,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ... I ordered in the Honda accessory for GL1800 to remove headset noise.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Fred H recommended to cover the Cruse control module under the shelter with a piece of aluminum on older bikes to cure humming problems. I think he used an old license plate.

·
Vendor
18,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts