GL1800Riders Forums banner

Humor Me Please

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  seabear70 
#1 ·
I'm really new to the Wing and all of the technology. That ... combined with a hatred of search engines will force me to ask some stupid questions along the way. Today's question is about the preload settings. I weigh 195#'s and ride solo. What setting is common for some one of my stature? I have moved it around but haven't gone too far.

Thanks ... again ...

Len

#2 ·
Len, play with the pre-load...all the way up; all the way down and everything in between. In the end I think you'll find that the highest setting (25) will provide the best ride...but that it just me. FWIW, I am running an upgraded suspension and I run it at either 19 or 25, depending on how hard I am playing. Good luck.

#3 ·
Len, welcome to the wonder of Wingin'. It's kinda funny about those pre-load settings. I hardly ever mess with them and keep them at about the mid setting. I guess I am either too stupid to understand or just having too much fun to pay attention. I will sit back and watch to see how others respond to this thread and learn along with ya. :popcorn:

#5 ·
Len, welcome to the wonder of Wingin'. It's kinda funny about those pre-load settings. I hardly ever mess with them and keep them at about the mid setting. I guess I am either too stupid to understand or just having too much fun to pay attention. I will sit back and watch to see how others respond to this thread and learn along with ya. :popcorn:
The wonders of wing'in ? That's a good one :lol::lol::lol:

#8 ·
I'm really new to the Wing and all of the technology. That ... combined with a hatred of search engines will force me to ask some stupid questions along the way. Today's question is about the preload settings. I weigh 195#'s and ride solo. What setting is common for some one of my stature? I have moved it around but haven't gone too far.

Thanks ... again ...

Len
Len, What year is your new ride? If it's an older bike start out with it at 0 run it up and listen for the actuiator to change sounds and stop and see what # it's on. Sometimes the older ones won't kick in until 10 or so.

If it doesn't kick in at 1 or 2 it needs to be reset.
Kurt :thumbup:

#9 ·
Len, What year is your new ride? If it's an older bike start out with it at 0 run it up and listen for the actuiator to change sounds and stop and see what # it's on. Sometimes the older ones won't kick in until 10 or so.

If it doesn't kick in at 1 or 2 it needs to be reset.
Kurt :thumbup:
She is a 2010 left over .... I just had her since Tuesday and turned 1 k on the clock tonight ... ;)

#12 ·
I agree with the advice everyone else has given you. I find that if I have it set too soft the Wing's rear end will wobble a little when I'm cornering aggressively on a rough road. Any time I get that wobble I can set it a little higher and it will go away. If you are the type of rider that runs on the slab all the time then you can set it low and enjoy a very comfortable ride! The higher settings just means it rides a little stiffer. I also have a 2010.

#13 ·
I am about 200 lbs, I've found a setting of 6 when riding by myself works best for me.

#17 ·
I ride solo and 190lbs. I leave mine set at 7, and when I ride to WingDing next week and running loaded, solo, and no trailer, I will run at 15. For me it has been that way for all 4 of my GL1800s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.