GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dixie & I are planning on a trip down the BRP next week ... we'd cross Ohio to Urichsville on 36 Sunday ... follow down US 250 to Waynesboro Monday ... ride down the BRP Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday ... then ...??? Back home to Indiana for Labor Day.

Just how much effect are we going to get in terms of rain and storms from Irene ???:shrug:

·
Registered
528 Posts
you may get some rain squalls from outer bands of the hurricane on Sunday entering Ohio. There will most likely be some flooding from small streams and rivers and some debris from wind gusts the closer to the coast that you get. I'm guessing that the area that you are looking to ride shouldn't experience anything more than 50 MPH winds. The BRP is pretty far from the coast and the storm is more likely to swing further east than west. If it were me, I wouldn't cancel my plans.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Look at the projected time line. I think it will all be over except for the shouting by the time you will be on the "burp". But, if you see that you will be there during the stom, then CHANGWE YOUR PLANS. The weather up on the ridge chages fast enough as it is and fog and rain are problematic anyway at times, plus slides and detours.

prs

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Forecast here (Waynesboro, VA) is currently not even calling for rain or wind. I find that highly unlikely. They'll revise that as the storm's track is more clearly defined.

We'll get some fringe effect from Irene, but it's all supposed to be gone by Monday. Sounds like your timing will be good.

BTW - the northern part of the parkway, starting from Waynesboro for at least 50 miles south, is not in great shape. It's in need of maintenance, but, hey, we're in a recession. (Skyline Drive, on the other hand, from Waynesboro north, is newly paved and perfect).

The parkway speed limit is 45mph anyway, so you'll be takin it slow. Enjoy! After big fronts push through, the haze is normally pushed out, too, and the views are crystal clear. :thumbup:

C

·
0 Posts
Forecast here (Waynesboro, VA) is currently not even calling for rain or wind. I find that highly unlikely. They'll revise that as the storm's track is more clearly defined.

We'll get some fringe effect from Irene, but it's all supposed to be gone by Monday. Sounds like your timing will be good.

BTW - the northern part of the parkway, starting from Waynesboro for at least 50 miles south, is not in great shape. It's in need of maintenance, but, hey, we're in a recession. (Skyline Drive, on the other hand, from Waynesboro north, is newly paved and perfect).

The parkway speed limit is 45mph anyway, so you'll be takin it slow. Enjoy! After big fronts push through, the haze is normally pushed out, too, and the views are crystal clear. :thumbup:
Concur with all that. We live on the other side of the "hill" and aren't expecting much more than gusty winds and some rain. I'm on the Skyline drive regularly and it really is in beautiful shape. The parkway south from Waynesboro hasn't had as much attention and has some potholes, etc., but nothing to mess up a good ride. C'mon down. :coffee1:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Here in western NC, they are not even predicting any rain.......and we need some.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was riding down the BRP, about one hour from Waynesboro when the big quake hit. I never felt it until I stopped at Buena Vista overlook and a local asked if I knew. I never felt a thing. The north end of the BRP isn't in great shape compared to the new surface on Skyline, but it was still very enjoyable. The temps were pleasant and the traffic wasn't bad.

Keep your plans and have a great trip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts