GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first hurricane season that I have had my goldwing, and living in a condominium in So. Florida it presents a new set of challenges. I keep my
wing in a undercover parking area but it is not fully enclosed and has a
significant amount of wind during a storm. Does anyone have any ideas
for tie downs that I might be able to install in the asphalt pavement and their
attachment to the bike to keep it from being blown over during a storm?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
This is the first hurricane season that I have had my goldwing, and living in a condominium in So. Florida it presents a new set of challenges. I keep my
wing in a undercover parking area but it is not fully enclosed and has a
significant amount of wind during a storm. Does anyone have any ideas
for tie downs that I might be able to install in the asphalt pavement and their
attachment to the bike to keep it from being blown over during a storm?
Thanks in advance.
Having lived in South Florida since 1970, I have seen some nasty hurricanes :eek:4:. Andrew was the worst and tore up Homestead and the Kendall area.
Wilma took my roof half off and pulled out 5 good size trees by their roots :shock:. There is no way you want to keep a Wing outside during a hurricane no matter how well you tie it down. I have even seen 2"x 4" wood pierce trees.
Find someone near you with a garage or make a deal with some business owner or dealer who might let you put the bike inside during a hurricane (Hurricanes are also loaded with tornado's but don't ask me how I know :evil:). Even a covered parking garage with the bike laid on its side would be better than tied up outside with all the debris flying around like missiles :nojoke:.
After a hurricane check you tires after every ride. The roads will be loaded with roofing screws and nails looking for a new home. Your tires will act like magnets and pick them up. Usually the front tire stands them up and they wind up in the rear tire :shock:.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Neal, you'll probably have to put some kind of "eyebolt" type anchor in the asphalt & hook your tiedowns to them. But, if your asphalt is thin, you could still have a problem. Would probably rip out during a storm.

I think I'd look into building some type of frame to get the bike elevated & secure. If possible anchor it to floor & wall.

Of course another option would be to run it up here & let me keep it for you until next spring. Just be sure you also leave the key with me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having lived in South Florida since 1970, I have seen some nasty hurricanes :eek:4:. Andrew was the worst and tore up Homestead and the Kendall area.
Wilma took my roof half off and pulled out 5 good size trees by their roots :shock:. There is no way you want to keep a Wing outside during a hurricane no matter how well you tie it down. I have even seen 2"x 4" wood pierce trees.
Find someone near you with a garage or make a deal with some business owner or dealer who might let you put the bike inside during a hurricane (Hurricanes are also loaded with tornado's but don't ask me how I know :evil:). Even a covered parking garage with the bike laid on its side would be better than tied up outside with all the debris flying around like missiles :nojoke:.
After a hurricane check you tires after every ride. The roads will be loaded with roofing screws and nails looking for a new home. Your tires will act like magnets and pick them up. Usually the front tire stands them up and they wind up in the rear tire :shock:.
The Bike is in a parking structure that is under the complexes pool deck ,
the problem is that it is opened on the east and west side. My other bikes have weathered well during the last 10 storm seasons, but I have seen one this forum that the wing tends not to be very stable on its stand in windy/storm conditions. Laying the bike
down for the storm does not work because I am located 100 ft of Biscayne Bay and the parking structure gets several inches of water in it during a storm.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The Bike is in a parking structure that is under the complexes pool deck ,
the problem is that it is opened on the east and west side. My other bikes have weathered well during the last 10 storm seasons, but I have seen one this forum that the wing tends not to be very stable on its stand in windy/storm conditions. Laying the bike
down for the storm does not work because I am located 100 ft of Biscayne Bay and the parking structure gets several inches of water in it during a storm.
Since storm surge sometimes is a few feet, you might want to consider a place more inland. It sounds like you are in an evacuation area.
Maybe pontoons will be needed :joke::joke::joke:.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In trying to come up with an idea to use in an emergency, if I could not
place my bike elsewhere what do you guy think about getting it up on the center stand and putting 4 screw jacks, one under each of the engine and saddle bag guards. Do you think that might be stabile enough to help
prevent damage

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would definitely look for an internal storage option somewhere inland.

I would even consider getting a bike-sized ministorage for the duration of the season if the expectation for wind and storm surge are as serious as you suggest.

Spent my first 43 years living within reach of hurricanes along the atlantic and gulf coasts. I was never as happy as I was the first season we lived up here - the relief was surprising.

Best of luck and I hope you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I believe that four or six eye bolts (well anchored in the pavement) with four or six high quality ratchet straps attached to the engine and bag guards will hold the bike to the ground. I use that same arrangement (six straps) on my motorcycle trailer and it works great. Without saying, a hurricane is nothing to play around with. If you can, leave town and take the Wing with you.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I live in South Louisiana, and have experienced a number of hurricanes. As noted above by others, best idea is to get the bike away from the coast and into a secure building. But that doesn't answer your question, does it?

If your bike is exposed during hurricane force winds, it may be damaged by flying objects. Be that as it may, if you can get four anchor bolds very secure into the pavement (hopefully cement), you should be able to secure the bike against reasonable winds. A secure bike will do OK in 90+ mph winds, as lond as nothing but wind hits it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It's probably not a good idea to cover it either.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I live center state...You can try to anchor(cover for me) but storms $uck and kick a$$ here...Heavy insure it ??

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Park it in the garage elevator!!!

·
IronMan
17,812 Posts
Get on bike n ride till your out of danger will save bike n give you reason to ride life is so simple sometimes lol good luck

·
Registered
800 Posts
Neal, I live in Coconut Creek and own a townhouse and no garage, and like you have no other choice but ride out a storm. I bought some tie towns at Home depot that I tap-con to the concrete slab, remove the side covers and ratchet stap it to the tie downs with the wing on the center stand. I also strap the center stand to the front wheel so it cant rock of the stand. I use a Dowco full cover and secure it with it's own strap, and then cover with a tarp, tied securely. With insurance up to date, all I can do is hope for the best.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Rent a storage shed for a couple of days :shrug:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds to me like a good time to evacuate and take a road trip:shrug:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts