GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

A couple of years ago I bought a 2010 Honda GL1800 Goldwing and It has a trailer hitch on it but the tongue is bent and I am looking to get a new Hitch Tongue.

Attached is a pic of the current tongue. ( image0.jpg -bent hitch tongue on) and (hitch.jpg - is a photo of the hitch receiver looking up from the ground)

The tongue is 2” X ½ “ thick and the drop box is a 1 ¼” (outside dia.) Square - I have done some research and it looks like a Bushtec hitch,

Does Bushtec make or have a replacement for my current trailer hitch tongue if it is a Bushtec? And what is the cost? or What other sources ar out there, to obtain the right hitch tongue?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
That hitch looks very much like an old Uni-Go hitch, especially picture #2. I believe Bushtec may be able to help you out with a replacement tongue.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I must be blind. I cannot see where it's bent.
Scott

·
Registered
560 Posts
It appears to be slightly bent where the ball bolts onto the receiver. I can't imagine how that hunk of iron would get bent in normal trailer use so I'm "assuming" that there were some other circumstances involved as enough force to bend that in "normal" m/c use would almost have to be from an accident. Simple grossly overloaded tongue weight would practically lift the front wheel or damage the hitch framework (which should be carefully checked out) even from a hitch rack carrier.
Just taking a WAG at it from what I can see.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure your hitch is a Bushtec Deluxe because of the included mud flap. I've had several of those hitches over the years.
BINGO !!! Ray you are right - i just got off the phone with Bushtec and sent them all of the photos and you are correct "Deluxe Model" comes with the mud flap included from with the tech said.

new tongue is on the way.

Just want to say thank you all for your knowledgeable information.

C.J. Williams

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It appears to be slightly bent where the ball bolts onto the receiver. I can't imagine how that hunk of iron would get bent in normal trailer use so I'm "assuming" that there were some other circumstances involved as enough force to bend that in "normal" m/c use would almost have to be from an accident. Simple grossly overloaded tongue weight would practically lift the front wheel or damage the hitch framework (which should be carefully checked out) even from a hitch rack carrier.
Just taking a WAG at it from what I can see.
that is what I thought " ACCIDENT " so i took it to the local shop and to a buddy of mine who is Motocycle Mech. and both confirmed that the bike has NOT Been in a accident...so i called the prior (original) owner up and he said this was a spare tongue that he had from his 2008 which was rear-ended. and that he just put the tongue on there to show people that the bike is tow-ready.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I would put it in a press and straighten it and move on. It probably would work just fine as is.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still almost can't see where it's bent but, that's maybe just my eyes. And, if it's just slightly bent, even a cheap Harbor Freight press would straighten it out. But, it's yours so, your choice.
Scott

·
Registered
560 Posts
A "ball" bolts onto it and many (all of mine) m/c tow trailers have swivel hitch, so yes, I really don't see where a bit of a "bend" is going to matter in the receiver, but replacement is entirely up to the owner.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That receiver is only slightly bent.....

This one is bent!

I had no problem getting a replacement receiver and ball. That was the after math from when the tongue (which is on the trailer, not the bike) decided to break away from the trailer body on me and swung around beside me digging into the ground and flipped me. The right mirror, the receiver, and a fuse on trailer wiring was the only damage to the bike and my pride was my only "damage". Miracles do indeed occur and I cashed in on all of them that day.

·
Registered
564 Posts
that is why I have a Swivel Hitch.

a friend of mine, riding a 1500 with Swivel hitch pulling a trailer, returning from a grocery store to the Rally location, Went to sleep, and went off into the ditch on the right side of the road.

the bike stayed upright, the trailer did a 360 degree roll over, and landed on its' wheels.
busted 3 cartons of eggs, smashed the bread a bit....

but, he was alive and well, turned around, and rode back to the rode and the rally point.
we know the trailer did the 360 roll over, because a buddy was behind him and saw it happen

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that is why I have a Swivel Hitch.

a friend of mine, riding a 1500 with Swivel hitch pulling a trailer, returning from a grocery store to the Rally location, Went to sleep, and went off into the ditch on the right side of the road.

the bike stayed upright, the trailer did a 360 degree roll over, and landed on its' wheels.
busted 3 cartons of eggs, smashed the bread a bit....

but, he was alive and well, turned around, and rode back to the rode and the rally point.
we know the trailer did the 360 roll over, because a buddy was behind him and saw it happen

Is this the swivel hitch you are talking about ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Is this the swivel hitch you are talking about ? View attachment 365336
That's the way both of my trailers are. I personally won't tow a trailer behind a bike w/o the swivel type hitch, (but many with much more experience than I do it). It's just a personal decision I have made.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts