GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple questions. Looks to be about 650 miles is 2 days enough? - Is the ride worth it? any other suggestions? Thank You

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I did it back in 1979 in a cage and it was quiet amazing! I wish I could do it on the wing some day.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Absolutely YES
the wife and I are doing most of this ride at the end of next month
need more info PM me

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I did it back in 1979 in a cage and it was quiet amazing! I wish I could do it on the wing some day.
I like driving south so as to be on the ocean side of the road, however, either way its worth the trip.
We overnighted in Morro Bay. Got there early enough in the afternoon to borrow one of the hotels plastic kayaks and paddle around the Bay.
Excellent evening.

Rick

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can do it in two days but three would be better and spend a day around Pismo beach, san luis and morro bay. Gotta stop at Hearst castle if you have never been there. The part between Morro bay and Carmel is the most scenic and its my 3hr (one way) lunch ride when I'm bored around the house.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
With Jercoupe, what's the rush..... CA1 is one of the best rides in the country and so much to see along the way. Be sure to check
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi
put in just the hwy number and see what comes up, right now there looks to be 5 choke points along your route.
-
Not to scare but we did that trip from north to south last year; 2 bikes down, 1 with a sheet over the rider; it can take quite a while for emergency services to get to you, be careful.
-
Morro Bay, great places to eat on the pier.
-
1+ on the Hearst Castle......that is a minimum of 1/2 day and is better all day
-
Check Pashinit for rides off the 1; some hidden adventures, this is a subscription service but you can gleen a bunch of info without subscribing.
I will not go to the west coast without renewing my subscription.
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm
-
When you get close to SF, find Skyline Drive, it's a hoot, Alices resturant at the crossroads is a little pricey but good.

·
Registered
827 Posts
With Jercoupe, what's the rush..... CA1 is one of the best rides in the country and so much to see along the way.
When you get close to SF, find Skyline Drive, it's a hoot, Alices resturant at the crossroads is a little pricey but good.
Well dang! You may as well go through the redwoods at big basin too on your way to Alices. Then from Alices take LaHonda (ironic huh?) back to hwy 1. Lets make it 4 days now instead!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Couple questions. Looks to be about 650 miles is 2 days enough? - Is the ride worth it? any other suggestions? Thank You
Highway 1 is absolutely a must-ride trip. You could do that in two days.

You mentioned from San Diego though. There are sections of the 1 that you might want to skip. There is a section of the 1 between San Diego and the Orange County line where Camp Pendelton is that Hwy 1 really doesn't exist. You actually have to get onto the 5 freeway until Dana Point, where the 1 picks up again. From Dana Point the 1 hugs the coast and goes through lots of beach towns, which means lots of stop lights. When you get to Long Beach, the 1 actually takes a turn inland and through cities, and more traffic lights. This section is not sc Driving through Malibu you will spend at least 30 minutes stopping at lights, but you will have a view of the ocean for a good part of it. The really scenic portion of Hwy 1 starts around San Luis Obispo at Morro Bay. There are also some good roads right off of PCH as you go north that you might want to explore.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Highway 1 is absolutely a must-ride trip. You could do that in two days.

You mentioned from San Diego though. There are sections of the 1 that you might want to skip. There is a section of the 1 between San Diego and the Orange County line where Camp Pendelton is that Hwy 1 really doesn't exist. You actually have to get onto the 5 freeway until Dana Point, where the 1 picks up again. From Dana Point the 1 hugs the coast and goes through lots of beach towns, which means lots of stop lights. When you get to Long Beach, the 1 actually takes a turn inland and through cities, and more traffic lights. This section is not sc Driving through Malibu you will spend at least 30 minutes stopping at lights, but you will have a view of the ocean for a good part of it. The really scenic portion of Hwy 1 starts around San Luis Obispo at Morro Bay. There are also some good roads right off of PCH as you go north that you might want to explore.
Thank you for info,I was just looking on map quest now I have some more info! Ty

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
From a semi native, start at the Santa Monica pier and work north from there. Stop at Neptune's Net for lunch or dinner in Malibu...
The comment that Gary wrote above is spot on, the road is best north from Morrow Bay.
So many out of the way places along the way to break up the scenic monotony, however...take advantage of them.
You can easily spend another day or two just in the peninsula area of the Bay Area for more fun roads to ride.

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information! In your opinion Coming from the Grand canyon ,what would be a good route to meet up with 1 to head north to San Francisco To catch all the great Views? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
657 Posts
leaving Kelowna tomorrow should be riding the coast from Jenner to Morro Bay some time next week hope the weather holds:yes:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks for all the information! In your opinion Coming from the Grand canyon ,what would be a good route to meet up with 1 to head north to San Francisco To catch all the great Views? Thanks in advance
It depends on whether you want to get there fast, or scenic route. That is some riding through desert, so be prepared for some heat.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Are you doing this ride relatively soon - like within the next three or four weeks??

From the Canyon, you have but one road that takes you west - and that's I-40. From there, depending on the time drain, you could head a bit north & catch Vegas, and a bit further the REAL desert - the Mojave around the Death Valley area.

You'd then head thru the park CA-190, then drop south on CA-395 to CA-178. From teh Bakersfield area, find your way back to CA-33, take that south, until you hit the CA-150 cut-off, the head west on CA-192 (wonder where those flowers all come from? Now you'll know...) then onto the 101...

Or the 33 to CA-166 all the way into Santa Maria...

...or... :D

Sooooo many choices. :thumbup:

ProTip: If possible, avoid the metropolitan region if you're not totally confident in your riding ability on the freeways. If you're not towing a trailer, you'll also have the opportunity to lane split (lane share) - and, yes it can be done on a Wing.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you doing this ride relatively soon - like within the next three or four weeks??

From the Canyon, you have but one road that takes you west - and that's I-40. From there, depending on the time drain, you could head a bit north & catch Vegas, and a bit further the REAL desert - the Mojave around the Death Valley area.

You'd then head thru the park CA-190, then drop south on CA-395 to CA-178. From teh Bakersfield area, find your way back to CA-33, take that south, until you hit the CA-150 cut-off, the head west on CA-192 (wonder where those flowers all come from? Now you'll know...) then onto the 101...

Or the 33 to CA-166 all the way into Santa Maria...

...or... :D

Sooooo many choices. :thumbup:

ProTip: If possible, avoid the metropolitan region if you're not totally confident in your riding ability on the freeways. If you're not towing a trailer, you'll also have the opportunity to lane split (lane share) - and, yes it can be done on a Wing.

WE will be riding I 40 heading to canyon! From their to Hwy1 Skipping Vegas ,as we are doing this trip in 2 weeks and have other sites in mind! So Taking I 40 in,what Would you Suggest? Thanks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
WE will be riding I 40 heading to canyon! From their to Hwy1 Skipping Vegas ,as we are doing this trip in 2 weeks and have other sites in mind! So Taking I 40 in,what Would you Suggest? Thanks
What kind of route do you want? scenic, slab for time? Twisties, sweepers, avoid traffic? We really have so many options.

40 going west will take you to Beautiful Barstow, and from there your options open up. The route Ken offered is a good one, but there are many other options depending on your goals. How do you do in heat? If not very well, you may want to take a more coastal route, which would involve some busy freeways. If you plan your timing to avoid rush hour they should not be too bad. Further inland will definitely be hotter, pushing triple digits for hours on end. Elevation will be cooler. 50 miles inland will likely be about 15 degrees hotter than on the coast.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of route do you want? scenic, slab for time? Twisties, sweepers, avoid traffic? We really have so many options.

40 going west will take you to Beautiful Barstow, and from there your options open up. The route Ken offered is a good one, but there are many other options depending on your goals. How do you do in heat? If not very well, you may want to take a more coastal route, which would involve some busy freeways. If you plan your timing to avoid rush hour they should not be too bad. Further inland will definitely be hotter, pushing triple digits for hours on end. Elevation will be cooler. 50 miles inland will likely be about 15 degrees hotter than on the coast.
I guess from Barstow next destination would be Santa Monica,to catch the PCH to San Fran--Because if I understand correctly ,all major views
of the PCH starts in Santa Monica !

So I guess from Barstow would be looking good time with view if possible! If not the scenic root over time! Thanks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Toss in the Angeles Crest Highway, Ortega Highway, Mullholland Hwy and Topanga Canyon Road.
From Barstow stay on the 15 south until you get to the 138(exit 131). Go west, then make a left onto Angeles Crest Highway. This will take you through some nice twisties and sweepers for about 60 miles and drop you off right next to the 210 freeway in La Canada-Flintridge. This is a very fun road. This puts you about 35 miles of slab to get to Santa Monica.

You might want to look at Mulholland Highway, maybe stop at the Rock Store for some food or drink, and ride the 'snake'(Don't get bit), or take Decker Canyon(23), or Topanga Canyon road. All are in the Santa Monica Mountains right there. All three are fun.

Ortega Highway is nice, but it might be a bit out of your way if you're heading north.

·
Banned
792 Posts
I guess from Barstow next destination would be Santa Monica,to catch the PCH to San Fran--Because if I understand correctly ,all major views
of the PCH starts in Santa Monica !

So I guess from Barstow would be looking good time with view if possible! If not the scenic root over time! Thanks
Personally I would seriously consider some of the route options Ken mentions above as I would not even waste my time going to Santa Monica. You would be good working your way down through nice country along the 58 to 99 and over to the 33 to Ventura and then head north along San Marcos pass just above Santa Barbara and continue up the coast or take the 166 from the 33 and head over to Santa Maria and then north along the coast. SoCal beach cities suck with traffic and stop lights. Save the time you would waste down there and spend it up where it is really nice. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts