GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
Well...

The parts of the state that haven't burned recently seem to be the areas now burning. 馃敟

Registered
That sucks... one of my all time favorite roads!

Registered
"Tentative burnout operations are being planned to reinforce holding features and could bring smoke and fire close to Highway 191."

So, probably a good thing if they're doing some burnout work to keep the fire contained.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
"Tentative burnout operations are being planned to reinforce holding features and could bring smoke and fire close to Highway 191."

So, probably a good thing if they're doing some burnout work to keep the fire contained.
Ken, hoping you're safe and well away from the Bighorn Wildfire as well. I've seen some images and it looks more like Los Angeles than Tucson...

- David

Registered
My wife & I snagged a couple of pictures, but it's (slowly) advancing toward her old 'hood. Another 'Go' order issued for a small portion of that area last night, immediately adjacent to the forest service boundary, just as we were headed back into town.

The acrid smell of burnt materials is now a daily reminder, in the event you can't see it because it's on the other side of the mountain range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The acrid smell of burnt materials is now a daily reminder, in the event you can't see it because it's on the other side of the mountain range.
We have family in not only that area, but Oracle, San Manuel and Mammoth. They are covered with drift smoke at the moment....

- David

Registered

Due to the Bringham wildfire north of Morenci, Hwy 191 is closed through Jun 16, due to burnout operations and other safety concerns.
Still not looking good...

Gonna take rain to knock down this stuff.

The local fire has moved north and east, and has burned a LOT of stuff that hasn't burned in quite a while:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
From what I saw yesterday on-line, 191 should have opened early July.
I'm waiting for the temps to drop a bit more, then head southeast. I don't desire to tempt the heat stress demons again!

Not sure if I'll camp at Granville CG again or not, that was a fun little place to hang my hammock.

Or just ride straight through and spend the night in Alpine with a satisfying dinner at Bear Wallow; followed up the next morning with a HI-HO breakfast and off to tame the Three Fords Road!

On another note, several of us had a comfortable little adventure to Heber-Overgaard having a very filling lunch at The Wild Women Grill. And yes, they did have pastrami and it was decadent! Perhaps next time I'll get their ostrich sized wings! And maybe a Pazookie Baked Cookie...

- David

Registered

Registered
Rode 191 last week! Caught a couple vstrom. I don't think they thought a tour bike would perform that good? Been a long time since I have been on that road, fun as I remember. The copper mine was bigger than I remember?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Oh man! Wish I would have known I might have been able to join you! But then again, I WAS prepping for a trip back to Gallatin. Perhaps a meetup at Toot Toots' in Bethany for some gator might be in order!

It's always fun to catch other sport bikes on the Wing, then pass them by!

Glad you had a good time. I'm thinking the temps are really falling next week...so methinks it'll be a good time for a moto-camping adventure. Just north of the Morenci Mine is Granville Campground. We've stayed there before, perhaps it'll be a good stopping place for the evening once again.

- David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts