GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few weeks, we will be taking our High Adventure Scouts on a bicycle trek along Hwy 2. We start at the Mississippi River and roll west to Winter Quarters, Nebraska. Just curious how busy this road will be for those who know of it.

Thanks in advance,

- David

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Highway 2 is good. In 2011 I rode about 1,800 miles on Hwy 2 from Newport, WA to St. Ignace, MI on my way back to NJ. There were only a few fairly short construction zones and there was some increased truck traffic in Western North Dakota. Other than that it was a nice, pleasant ride. I even saw a few very hardy bicycle riders along the way.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Highway 2 is good. In 2011 I rode about 1,800 miles on Hwy 2 from Newport, WA to St. Ignace, MI on my way back to NJ. There were only a few fairly short construction zones and there was some increased truck traffic in Western North Dakota. Other than that it was a nice, pleasant ride. I even saw a few very hardy bicycle riders along the way.
Different Hwy. 2. One is a U.S. road and the other (Iowa) is a state highway.

We were on a short section of Iowa 2 this past weekend in Davis and Appanoose counties. Pretty hilly and no shoulders to speak of. I would NOT recommend it for bicycles.

IMHO moving north to US 34 would be better. It has been updated in recent years with nice shoulders and milder hills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.