GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am planning a trip from WI to North Carolina this summer and was wondering how HWY 25 is for traveling compared to I 75 for getting across Tennessee from Kentucky to North Carolina. I know it wont be as fast but looks shorter and more scenic than running interstate through knoxville. I thought I could then catch I 40 at Newport, TN and run that south. If anyone knows what the gas station and DQ placement is like that would help also Thanx, Mark

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been on parts of it and it was good. Check out the link for more information. http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/tn_us25.html You might even want to check out some of the other roads.

SE WI heh? I've two sons and their families living in WI. Beautiful state! One is in Appleton and the other in Green Bay. Enjoy your trip to NC. Eastern TN and Western NC are our favorite playgrounds.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
25 is a good ride. Look at picking up 209 in Hot Springs, NC. It is a great ride over to I 40. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the replies, looks like thats my route then,BOXMAKER I did not see that 209 untill I looked closer at the map, thank you much. WWELLS we ride the northern parts of the state as much as possible, more scenery and less people than around here, also the western part of WI is very nice. I appreciate the info...Mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
Saddlesoar, US25E is a very scenic road, the old road before Interstates were built. There is some construction south of Tazewell, TN where they are widening to 4 lanes, but should not be many delays. If you have time check Cumberland Gap Park area, also after you get to Newport just stay on 25 on in to Asheville NC. Lots of gas along the way and a DQ in just about every town of any size, Middlesboro, Tazewell, Morristown, Newport to name a few. Have a great trip, that is one of my favorite areas to get off the beaten path.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not to hijack you thread, but I to am heading from SE WI to play in the beautiful Smoky Mts. Is there a more scenic way from Louisville to Bristol. Mark where in SE WI do you live, and when are you going south? Thanks, Kirk

·
Registered
358 Posts
25 is O.K but 209 is a hoot. I took 209 to 63 just south of TRUST to get to Asheville and think it is even better than the section of 209 you'd be cutting off over to Maggie Valley. Did it both ways and YES it was TWISTY both ways. LOL;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CASPER2004 US25E is the road Im looking at and wondering about, it looks like a nice change from interstate riding. we are going to beat feet on the I-system from home to southern KY the first day then slow things down a little and enjoy the ride. thanks for the gas and DQ info :yes1:. KIRK we are in Caledonia and our trip to NC will be the second week of july, going to stay around Lake Lure for a few days then mosey our way back home. Where are you and when are you going south and to where?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm from Delavan. A friend and I are going down the 2nd week of July to ride around the Smoky's. I went down with my wife a couple of years ago. After doing the Skyline Dr and the BRP. We didn't have enough time to do the area justice. So this time I plan on spending most of the time in that area. I was looking at the same route as you were, but I need to end up by Bristol. We plan on starting out on the snake. Kirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts