GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you familiar with the road up Cheaha Mountain to the State Park you know it is a great road to ride but has been in need of repaving for a couple of decades, especially the lower end which was really rough.

Happily, that is no longer the case. The state has just completed laying new, fresh blacktop the entire 20 miles from it's beginning at US Hwy 78 all the way to the Park. It's always been fun to ride, now it is even better.. smooth as butter.

BTW.... come ride the mountain but, this weekend (May 16 & 17) would not be the best time to check it out. The annual bicycle race (Cheaha Challenge) is in progress this weekend and in excess of 100 bicycles will be strung out all along the route, especially Sunday as they climb the mountain in the 100+ mile bicycle race.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I JUST ROAD IT AND IT IS LIKE RIDING ON GLASS .I REALY ENJOYED IT :thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
I was at Alabama's state rally this last weekend and rode it too. The new payment was awesome. However, my favorite part is riding the backside and the road to the right and am happy if they leave that pavement the way it is. No one was back there :) Cheeha is very scenic .... I enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The backside, down by the lake and towards Munford and Talladega is a great ride and sparsely travelled but... it's pretty rough. Paved but in pretty bad need of upgrading. Not much traffic at all but on weekends especially you better be prepared for the motor homes that might be coming up. They WILL be on your side of the road, actually usually taking the whole road as it is so narrow. A beautiful ride deep in the woods though.

During the week 281 is very lightly traveled and you see very few cars up or down. It is one of those places you are pretty much free to ride the way you want without interference. Usually nobody around for most of it. The folks at the country store and the Park are very motorcycle friendly. They have let some of us set up a small motorcycle only parking area where we have a carport type cover to park under.. in the shade and out of the occasional rain shower that may pop up in the summer time. Got us some lawn chairs under the cover and a picnic table nearby to sit and hang out, swap lies and talk motorcycles... and everything else. One of my favorite places and I am up there a lot. Weekdays and weekends.

On a nice weekend day it gets pretty busy with bikes, sometimes 100 or more through there in an afternoon. Sort of a rolling bike night with all sorts and manner of motorcycles likely to show up. Have seen lots of bikes I had never seen in person just hanging out on a weekend. Everything from a Vintage Vincent to Urals with sidecars and the latest, newest models of most evrything.

·
Registered
239 Posts
First ride in over a year

I read this thread yesterday and it helped me decide where I wanted to go ride today. Due to mine and my wife's health problems the bike has been parked for a long time. I had to clean the dust and spider webs off of it and put a new battery in it and a few other little things and it did great! Really enjoyed the ride on 281 out to Cheaha park. Thanks xcop for the heads up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts