GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to my eastern Kansas cousins!

Headed towards Missouri in a few weeks, but we will be taking the cage and towing a 5x8 cargo trailer. Not really wanting to do the usual Hwy 54 thing, so thinking about a different route and staying completely off of the freeways.

I'm looking at Hwy's 50 & 56 most of the way, but would like your local thoughts on these roads. I don't mind the little town every few miles (living in rural Arizona for many decades, travelling without seeing a soul or building is the norm), and we're really not in a big hurry to go a little over 1200 miles. Probably take a whopping 3 days to get there...

Regardless, thanks for the help!

- David

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Like Kanwaka says and if you are going thru Liberal there will be a lot of truck traffic in that area also even on 56 but the road is good.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up on 50. I knew 54 held a fair amount of truck traffic, which is why I was looking for alternative routes. Perhaps I'll try your county roads, it appears they may be paved. Slower speeds I'm sure, but a possibility.

Adventures, adventures, adventures!

Thanks, again!

- David

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where are you headed in Missouri? We live in western KS (Garden City) And travel a lot to the Branson area. US50 comes right thru here. We run US400 all the way to the interstate at Joplin.It follows US 54 out here in western KS but cuts farther south than 54 east of Wichita. US 50 and US56 are both good roads although they both have had road construction over the summer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
50 is one of the deadliest highways around, too much truck traffic and sleepy drivers! Please avoid it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you headed in Missouri? We live in western KS (Garden City) And travel a lot to the Branson area. US50 comes right thru here. We run US400 all the way to the interstate at Joplin.It follows US 54 out here in western KS but cuts farther south than 54 east of Wichita. US 50 and US56 are both good roads although they both have had road construction over the summer.
Gallatin, Missouri is our destination.

Woody, thanks for the heads up on the 50, nice to know appreciable facts on certain roads.

Time to head out for a little 450 mile ride to watch one of our grandsons play football this afternoon. :thumbup:

- David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts