GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this has already been discussed here, but I just noticed this small blurb in the October RoadRunner magazine:

"Several sources including USA Today report that Honda has filed a patent with the United States Patent and Trademark Office to produce a hybrid motorcycle. The application, filed in September 2010, appears to be for a Gold Wing, and the design indicates that the motorcycle will use an internal combustion engine and an electric motor."

Let's see what develops!!
OB

·
Registered
557 Posts
Perhaps this has already been discussed here, but I just noticed this small blurb in the October RoadRunner magazine:

"Several sources including USA Today report that Honda has filed a patent with the United States Patent and Trademark Office to produce a hybrid motorcycle. The application, filed in September 2010, appears to be for a Gold Wing, and the design indicates that the motorcycle will use an internal combustion engine and an electric motor."

OB
thousands of patents are filed every year and never built. Also the sketch show the concepts not what they will be

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Seems to me HONDA is already pretty close ... 1,000 watt alternator ... electric reverse ... :roll:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Years ago there were conspiracy theories floating around about the Chevy EV1, the first serious attempt at building a mass market electric vehicle. After a few months of trials, Chevy destroyed all of them and for years did not make an electric vehicle.

Now, after an initial surge of popularity with vehicles like the Prius and a few others, Chevy is again making an electric or hybrid vehicle, the Volt.

At last we know why the EV1 was destroyed and forgotten...

NOBODY WANTS ONE!!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I wonder what it will weigh in at? Petrol engine and a presumably heavy electric motor, plus batteries will I think be heavier than the 1800 Goldwing.
If this happens, maybe they will go up to 2000.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Honda needs to spend more time working on giving us what we want instead of what they want us to want. The new VFR1200 is a good example. They created a bike that it way overpriced because of technology that they have to try to pay for. They can't give that bike away. And I'm not just talking about the dual clutch version either. Ditto the NT...whatever it is.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If it is it won;t be a true (Gold Wing) I read some where were the U.S. sells less wings than any other country, so why would they care what we want.
You can go 230 to 260 miles and fill up & go again, not plug in and wait 8 hrs.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think I'll hold off until they perfect a 'perpetual motion' machine!

:joke:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts

OB
Companies file thousands of "submarine" patents every year. A submarine patent is a patent for something that the company has no current interest in pursuing but they wish to 'stake a claim' just in case someone else decides to do it before they get around to it.

If that happens, they can surface unexpectedly and start firing lawyer torpedoes at the other company like a U-Boat attacking a convoy - thus the nickname "submarine patent."

·
Registered
100 Posts
The way of the Future

For sure electric is the way of the future.....even if we have to build our own systems.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Once again

there is too much importance being placed on the Gold Wing. It's a small part of Honda's cycle business. I'd really like to know what country is buyng more Wings than the U.S.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
If it is it won;t be a true (Gold Wing) I read some where were the U.S. sells less wings than any other country, so why would they care what we want.
You can go 230 to 260 miles and fill up & go again, not plug in and wait 8 hrs.
Did I read what you said right about the Goldwing sell less in the U.S. than any other country? If so, that could not be further from the truth. The Goldwing sells very little outside the U.S. It is a U.S. bike all the way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We continue to make progress in battery technology. I can certainly see more blending of combustion engines with electric motors in the future.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they did come out with a battery operated bike. They would need the goldwing size to conceal the batteries. Or maybe just a 6 speed tranny.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
..... I read some where were the U.S. sells less wings than any other country .......
I'd be willing to take a chance and bet a buck or two that we sell more than Antarctica, but maybe only because it's a continent ..... :shrug:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts