GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't have a DS, but I wouldn't be worried about the rear hydroplanning... its usually following in the track of the front... If I'm going fast enough to hydroplane the rear (on a DS with more sipes and groves than say an Avon Venom) when its not aligned I'm probably driving too fast for conditions.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have rode in some pretty heavy rainfall and never had an issue. I can see a good rooster tail in the rear view so I wasn't riding crazy but was riding faster then most of the traffic at the time. I tend to worry more about the front than the rear in wet conditions. I would say as the tread dept wears and the tire gets closer to the wear marks, then I ride accordingly. JMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a DS, but I wouldn't be worried about the rear hydroplanning... its usually following in the track of the front... If I'm going fast enough to hydroplane the rear (on a DS with more sipes and groves than say an Avon Venom) when its not aligned I'm probably driving too fast for conditions.
Very good thoughts there ZZ I just been caught in some pretty heavy down pours. I havent went DS but I have thought about it alot.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
Crank 85 in heavy downpour on slab ( i 95 ) here and no problems at all . Did 500 + miles coming back from ohio last year 80 mph on w.virg. Turnpike and thru virg. Without problems !! Bt45 on front . Be safe good luck. Mt aint for everybody !!! But works great for me. Make your own choice. Tons of ds'ers now! I've never heard of anything bad happening useing ct. If you have please enlighten all of us. Plenty would/will let ya try ct if ya ask. I got spare here ( fl ) all's welcome !!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
NEVER had a problem w a CT in the rain, last we rode from Bah Harbor to Lk. George in torrential rains for 8 hrs & neither my front Metz or my Alpin had any issues.
Rode to Sturgis in 012, then out to Jackson Hole & back to NJ w/o a hitch..

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Assuming this is an honest question - one response would be do you worry about hydroplaning in your car since you have 4 flat surface tires?

A CT will be less likely to hydroplane than a MT because of the number and depth of the rain grooves (channels) that are present in the tire. Look at the CT, then look at a MT and compare the amount of grooves available to channel water out and away from the tire.

You will hydroplane the front tire before you do the back, both because the front tire makes a trough for the rear tire to pass through, and the front has less weight on it and less channeling.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have deliberately tried to make my CT slip in the rain and on generally wet roads in the twisties, without success. The front has slipped a bit, but not the rear. The CT sipes are far better at dispersing water than MTs.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I have deliberately tried to make my CT slip in the rain and on generally wet roads in the twisties, without success. The front has slipped a bit, but not the rear. The CT sipes are far better at dispersing water than MTs.
I have done the same thing , only time any tire slips is when it's time to replace it , aka hitting wear bars .
No worries . Have somebody watch your rooster tail in the rain , they will tell ya it sprays more water than a fire hose .

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Prior to triking(fourty-one years) ALL my M/C tires Dunlaps,Avons,Metzlers ect, developed a flat surface about two inches wide.

Have rode in heavy down pours and I felt much safer

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Car tire is far far far far far( see a pattern here?) safer especially on wet roads!!
i used to inadvertently break traction without trying to when I used a regular mc tire. Now, with a car tire, I've only lost traction once, and that was just the tiniest of slips before the tire grabbed traction again.
I'll never use a reg mc tire on the rear of my wings ever again!!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts