GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am overstating the risk? Below are a few vids, I found with a 5 minute search of YouTube. There are plenty more. And so everyone else agrees with you, that's fine. But I don't. I do take exception when anyone starts telling me why I am doing something, i.e. "to take it to The Man!" Apple isn't trying to make it harder to fix, they are trying to sell you something new and are willing to lie and cheat to do that. I am not trying to change your mind, as I can see it is closed.

- 1000's of photos lost
- hardware not repaired
- death of a hiker's photo's unrecoverable.

And there are tons of these.
Let's agree to disagree. Peace :)

·
Administrator
368 Posts
I see this thread has managed to morph itself from Rrixx's "I'm bored best things to get for your bike thread" into Apple vs Android.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I read somewhere about a solution to make the Android vs Iphone thing work for me at least. Let me begin by saying I am a staunch Android/Samsung loyalist as far as smartphones go. The fact that Honda did not support the Android integration on the wing is disappointing, but not the end of the world. I wanted to be able to use the built in screen/controls, so I picked up a slightly used IPhone 8 off eBay. I did not want to pay for a cell connection, so I put my Android phone into hotspot mode, and then connect the IPhone to the hotspot for data. I can now use the integrated screen on the dash, and controls on the handlebars for Siri, Google Maps/Waze, and music, and use my Samsung for phone calls through my Packtalk. Not ideal but gets the job done, until Honda gets the Android integration completed. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I see this thread has managed to morph itself from Rrixx's "I'm bored best things to get for your bike thread" into Apple vs Android.
Life itself is continually morphing...you should have seen me when I was in my 20/s is hard to believe I have morphed into this present old creature:LOL: Threads morph because the human mind morphs from one thing to the other.

·
Registered
622 Posts
So I read somewhere about a solution to make the Android vs Iphone thing work for me at least. Let me begin by saying I am a staunch Android/Samsung loyalist as far as smartphones go. The fact that Honda did not support the Android integration on the wing is disappointing, but not the end of the world. I wanted to be able to use the built in screen/controls, so I picked up a slightly used IPhone 8 off eBay. I did not want to pay for a cell connection, so I put my Android phone into hotspot mode, and then connect the IPhone to the hotspot for data. I can now use the integrated screen on the dash, and controls on the handlebars for Siri, Google Maps/Waze, and music, and use my Samsung for phone calls through my Packtalk. Not ideal but gets the job done, until Honda gets the Android integration completed. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I think this is a really elegant solution for Android users who hate the built-in nav, and don't want the expense and hassle of bolting an external standalone GPS to their bars. I believe every iPhone since the iPhone 5 supports CarPlay, so you could pick up a cheap used iPhone for peanuts from fleabay. Doesn't matter if it's scratched to hell if you're going to just be using it for CarPlay so you could get a bargain. Then set up tethering as Rick has. You won't get the call/SMS message stuff through CarPlay of course, but probably not the end of the world.

Rick, presumably you've tried keeping the Samsung connected via bluetooth to the bike, while the iPhone is physically connected for CarPlay, to see if you still get the calling function via the bike's infotainment even when CarPlay is running and that didn't work?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rick, presumably you've tried keeping the Samsung connected via bluetooth to the bike, while the iPhone is physically connected for CarPlay, to see if you still get the calling function via the bike's infotainment even when CarPlay is running and that didn't work?
I actually haven't tried that as I just pair my Samsung to my Packtalk Slim for phone calls, since it has all the voice commands. I may give it a try to see if I'm missing any functionality there.
Thanks Matt!

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi Rick. I am in the same boat as you with regard to this.
i am not a techno buff, if you don't mind please give us detail on how to connect everything up.
I also have the packtalk bold and a Samsung s10.
permanently I have a iPhone 6 on the wing.
is it possible to see the calls on the screen?
will really appreciate your input on what to connect first, and where, etc.
thank in advance buddy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
I did the samething to try Car Play out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hi Rick. I am in the same boat as you with regard to this.
i am not a techno buff, if you don't mind please give us detail on how to connect everything up.
I also have the packtalk bold and a Samsung s10.
permanently I have a iPhone 6 on the wing.
is it possible to see the calls on the screen?
will really appreciate your input on what to connect first, and where, etc.
thank in advance buddy

Sure, the first thing I do is turn on the hot spot mode on my Samsung. I'm still running an S8+. Then, I go into the WiFi settings on the IPhone, and connect to the Samsung's wireless hot spot for it's network connection. By connecting the Iphone to the Samsung this way, I'm using the Samsung's cell connection to provide data to the Iphone, therefore, the Iphone does not need a sim.

I then start the bike up, and pair my Packtalk headset to the bike using Bluetooth, since Carplay won't start without a headset paired to the bike. Next I connect the IPhone to the bike using the USB cable in the cubby. Make sure you do not let the IPhone connect to the bike with Bluetooth, otherwise Carplay will not work.

The way I do this, does not allow me to receive calls and text messages through the bike's screen, but it was suggested if I paired my Samsung to the bike through Bluetooth, I might gain that functionality. I may try that soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sure, the first thing I do is turn on the hot spot mode on my Samsung. I'm still running an S8+. Then, I go into the WiFi settings on the IPhone, and connect to the Samsung's wireless hot spot for it's network connection. By connecting the Iphone to the Samsung this way, I'm using the Samsung's cell connection to provide data to the Iphone, therefore, the Iphone does not need a sim.

I then start the bike up, and pair my Packtalk headset to the bike using Bluetooth, since Carplay won't start without a headset paired to the bike. Next I connect the IPhone to the bike using the USB cable in the cubby. Make sure you do not let the IPhone connect to the bike with Bluetooth, otherwise Carplay will not work.

The way I do this, does not allow me to receive calls and text messages through the bike's screen, but it was suggested if I paired my Samsung to the bike through Bluetooth, I might gain that functionality. I may try that soon.
thank you kind sir. I was wondering about the sim part. So I can remove the sim from the iPhone.
I am also going to connect my samsung to my Headset and to the bike. I presume we have to use channel one and two respectively.

·
Registered
622 Posts
thank you kind sir. I was wondering about the sim part. So I can remove the sim from the iPhone.
I am also going to connect my samsung to my Headset and to the bike. I presume we have to use channel one and two respectively.

I would suggest you either do one or the other. Pair the Samsung to the Pactalk OR the bike.

Normal connection flow on Goldwings is phone to bike, then bike to headset. The bike's infotainment system basically acts as the 'middle man' between the phone and the headset.

Only reason you may not want to in this case is that I don't know whether the bike's infotainment allows calls etc. from a bluetooth phone when there is already an iPhone physically plugged in for the CarPlay connection. But Rick is planning to test that.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts