GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got the bike apart for other stuff, and got sick an tired of temps rising during heavy stopped traffic through Michigan and Indiana last year, sooo. Should I pick up a couple of fans off EBay and correct...um modify... for flow through operation, or just do the ones in the bike. I’m going to do it. I never believed in the idea for reversed (forward) flow during fan operation.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
You don't say what year model your scoot is but I had an '01 that the temp gauge would go up from time to time in slow moving situations but it never got up to the red mark. I think that is what you have to avoid. I am like you. I never did like the forward blowing fans but I never did anything about it.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
In Florida's climate, the best prevention for over heating in slow traffic is by following the maintenance schedule in an Owner's Manual. If a cooling system and cap passes a pressure test, and the recovery system is inspected and working correctly, and if there is nothing added that is blocking air flow though the radiators, and if proper coolant has been used and changed every 2yrs/24k, whichever comes first, the needle should stay in the middle. At least all of my GL800s have. Even while pulling a trailer in 105 deg AZ weather in stop and go traffic, while others riding 1 up had their needles climb.

To test ... ride with others, if theirs Wing has no problem, and yours does, it is probably a maintenance issue.

Once the cooling system is neglected and coolant not changed as required by Honda, expect poor heat transfer through the cooling jackets as shown below. The first 2 pix below have been poorly maintained - white crust coating the cooling jackets. The last one has no white crust with water jackets painted the color of the engine case.

Also, the middle picture has a brownish stain. Not only did that owner neglect his cooling system, but he also didn't change his oil and filter, and air filter often enough either. The brownish stain is a dirty film. Basically, that engine will be prone to higher coolant gauge readings and an oil burner much sooner than a properly maintained Wing. Proper maintenance and poor maintenance is easy to spot once and engine is torn down.

To the OP ... once the radiators are removed from their shrouds, in the sun, look through them. See the blockage in the rear corners ??? Clean that **it out of there with a/c coil cleaner from a local hardware store. Spray the cleaner on, once it soaks in, flip them over and do the other side. After the cleaner has soaked in for about 10-15 mins, spray them clean with water pressure and a pointed nozzle. Be careful to not cause the damage to the grill area from using to much water pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Before you do that, have you verified the fans are working at all?? I drove mine 4 years and only while climbing a mountain in CA realized they never came on.. Turned out to be a relay. I also realized it’s easy to install a switch to ground the fan relay so you can control when & how long they run.
Since they shut off at 15mph I don’t thing the direction of airflow makes much difference.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Before you do that, have you verified the fans are working at all?? I drove mine 4 years and only while climbing a mountain in CA realized they never came on.. Turned out to be a relay. I also realized it’s easy to install a switch to ground the fan relay so you can control when & how long they run.
Since they shut off at 15mph I don’t thing the direction of airflow makes much difference.

Do you have info on how to do this?

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Dang Gregg!
Your good! Thanks for the before and after pictures, looks like it's time to replace that radiator fluid in my bike this spring....I know it's time!

Ronnie

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I rode for 80,000 miles and everytime I ended up in "parade mode" for more than 5 minutes, it would head for the red. Had lots of threads about what is overheating. But then the water pump failed and I replaced it. I haven't had a problem since. Now at around 145,000. YMMV

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Dang Gregg!
Your good! Thanks for the before and after pictures, looks like it's time to replace that radiator fluid in my bike this spring....I know it's time!

Ronnie
Those are not before and after pictures. Once the white stuff starts to develop from poor maintenance, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as them becoming clean again. For most, not even after the case has been hot tanked.

The 3rd picture is a water jacket from a well maintained Wing that had proper coolant changes. Nothing was done to make it that way.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I searched the net to find a goldwing/eureka boy.com site where he not only changed his fan direction. He put the bigger radiators in it too.
He linked to a company called electricfanengineering.com. I called them today and am going to order a couple of their fans designed to push air through the 2005 gl1800 goldwing radiators. $128.00 each for the fans. They are in New Jersey. It seems that reusing the Honda fans with changed wiring (for rotation) and flipping the fan blades over doesn’t net you much airflow. Electricfanengineering.com makes a redesigned fan, with motor, that will move air. And might I add, the correct direction.
Now, I’ll just say, this bike is not neglected. It’s service record exceeds (better than) the manufactures recomendations. It didn’t displace any coolant on any trip EVER!!!! The engineering shortfall by Honda (clearly corrected with the successor to the 1832) is too much for me to repeatedly contend with. My sons 1500 idling right next to me on a trip just sits there humming away with no temp gauge movement or known engineering dunbness like they decided to do on the 1800’s. It’s frustrating to see and live with this. I’m fixing it. Much like I fixed the wollowing suspension with everything Traxxion recommends, then fixed the silly flex handlebars with Helibars.
This cooling system upgrade will add that (little bit more) peace of mind in knowing things work the way nature intends them to. With physics, not against. I’ll see what I get in the mail and share pic’s when I get to it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know if I would have kept my 05, I would have put some 1/2 inch computer fans between the radiator and the fairing to blow air over the radiators. I was getting tired of the bike getting hot when I rode it in traffic, which is most everyday where I live.
I am glad the 18 I have now has the fans going in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Do you have info on how to do this?
With the relays exposed, short the connectors to ground and the one that starts the fans can be wired through a switch to any ground and you have manual control of the fans. That won’t do much good if you are at speed but it can help in stop/start where the fans keep kicking off when you move a short distance.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Didn't Honda increase the radiator size in the '06 and later model years cuz too many 01-05 owners have creeping needles in certain conditions. I doubt every single one of these is due to poor maintenance. Can poor maintenance make it worse, sure. I doubt poor maintenance is the root cause.

Myself I have only seen this a few times on my '05. The comment the fans only come on below 15mph is interesting. My first time with the needle creeping over mid point was on a steep, narrow road to a mountain top lookout, 2-up. 20-25 mph top speed slowing to tight steep hairpins where you really have to watch for oncoming traffic on the narrow road. Seems too fast for fans to come on, too slow for decent air flow. Needle got to about 2/3 mark by the top.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Likewise, I live in TX, 100+ degrees lots of days but the only time I’ve had problems was climbing mountains at slow speed, 2-up. I had to abandon the trip to the bristle-cone pine forest in CA when my 2005 finally regurgitated about 10 miles short. The gravel road was very rough and I couldn’t go fast enough to get good air-flow.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Gee maybe I should change anti freeze again, last time it was changed was 77,000 miles ago when I had to change the leaking water pump for the first time at 450,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gee maybe I should change anti freeze again, last time it was changed was 77,000 miles ago when I had to change the leaking water pump for the first time at 450,000 miles.
:grin2: You so rock C-Dude. Hey do you work?, Or sleep?, or do anything other than ride???

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ya, I have an "03" and when the temps get close to the triple digits and traffic slows the temp gauge will rise, I used to get upset about it now I accept it, a couple of times I have gotten out of traffic and let it cool down, I have read many articles pertaining to cures but really don't have the mechanical ability nor do I want to pay someone, after all it's an old mc. I did purchase a product called "Wetter Water" an additive to the radiator & I think it made a difference. jmop (The more the temp rises the more I appreciate "Lane Splitting"

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
It's hard to imagine Honda still being allowed to produce such a poor-quality product.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts