GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in a different sub-forum, but I think it may belong here. What in the hell is going on on I-26 in and around Columbia, SC!?

We rolled through there Saturday afternoon, heading north toward NC, and the traffic congestion was the worst I have ever seen anywhere, at any time. Now, I know there was some construction on 26 near Columbia which slowed us to a stop, then crawling along, so we got off 26 and went on some back roads for a while. So then we joined back up on 26 (thinking we were past the construction, so we should be good) only to see a flashing sign which said "Heavy Traffic next 40 miles." Sadly, the sign was correct, and we slowed to a crawl, so again, we got off 26 and took a parallel road (SR 176) on the east side of 26, heading north. We traveled that road at 55-60 mph, all the way up to Whitmire, then headed west to join back up with 26, where it was finally moving at the proper speed.

So, any SC residents care to explain? If I lived around there I would be furious at SCDOT. Basically, there was around 60...SIXTY....straight miles of slow down!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow...no replies.....are there any GW riders in SC?

·
Registered
189 Posts
South Carolina Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Judd Jones said one lane on each side of I-26 had to be closed as a result, leading to traffic backups that lasted from about 7:15 p.m. until just after midnight. Robbie Isgett, S.C. Department of Transportation

1 - 3 of 3 Posts